Why become a member? ×

Stuck Schaller strap locks - help!

Jakester

Has anyone ever come across stuck strap locks, and if so, how did you resolve it?

I have a set of genuine, matching Schaller straplocks on a bass. I was hoping to swap the strap between basses on a gig I'm doing - four or so numbers on fretless, then swap the strap and the rest on fretted. Both basses have the Schaller strap buttons on them. 

I've done it in the past, but this time I can't get one of the strap locks to retract far enough to clear the 'detent' on the button, which means I can't slide the strap off. 

I've undone the strap fixings so just the lock is on, but even then the retractable pin won't lift far enough. I've put a fair bit of force on it to try and lever it up - it seems like it's reached the limit of its 'retractability', but I don't quite understand why it's not working as it's never been a problem before. I'm loath to apply more force at this stage as I don't want to rip the button out of the bass, and I'd prefer if possible not to have to destroy the locks too as they're quite pricey! 

It's hard to unscrew the button as you can't access the screw with the lock  in place. You can see the pin from the lock still 'home' in the detent on the button even with the lever lifted as high as possible with pliers. I supposed I could probably get at the button with some pliers to unscrew it with the lock in place, but I'd prefer not to do that if possible to avoid the risk of damaging the finish or the buttons. 

To answer the obvious questions - yes, they are genuine, I bought them brand new from a music store and fitted the buttons and locks all from the same set (I've previously had problems mixing newer and older sets before).

They're the newer, knurled locking wheel version, as opposed to the older, hex nut sets (which which I never had a day's trouble once in place!!). 

The lock is stuck to the original Schaller button that came with it, not the ones on the other bass, so there shouldn't be any question of compatibility problems. 

Any ideas? 🤔

you could try pulling the button up as far as it will go then try and slip a thin shim between the button and the lock and see if you can  get it under the pin, something like a very thin plectrum might work or a section of plastic packaging?

I had an issue many years ago where the pin unscrewed slightly from the button, you could try turning the button clockwise and see if it screws back together enough to pull the pin up into place. (i found that once screwed together tightly I didn't have any other issues.

Matt

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Matt P said:

you could try pulling the button up as far as it will go then try and slip a thin shim between the button and the lock and see if you can  get it under the pin, something like a very thin plectrum might work or a section of plastic packaging?

I had an issue many years ago where the pin unscrewed slightly from the button, you could try turning the button clockwise and see if it screws back together enough to pull the pin up into place. (i found that once screwed together tightly I didn't have any other issues.

Matt

I think there maybe something in this.  The clearance between the locking pin end and the bass's button is tight.  If the button is at all tilted relative to the locking pin, it isn't going to release. 

It is worth having a close look at if the strap button is moving at all.  If so, then shimming under the button might hold it still and then try to hold the locking pin carrier as parallel to the button (whatever the angle it is sitting at) while pulling the locking pin clear and sliding the assembly clear.

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2023 at 20:35, TheGreek said:

Did any of these suggestions work Jake?

Haven't had the chance to fiddle about with it as I've been gigging solidly - but thanks for the reminder, Mick, I'll have a go at it today and report back!