Why become a member? ×

EHX Hell Melter (HM-2)

0175westwood29

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Sounds more like a fuzz than a distortion.

Nothing wrong with the tone, but it's not described well. EHX have a habit of doing that.

As far as I can see the information that EHX provides on their homepage for this pedal is actual 100% factual correct.

What part of the description exactly is it that you think that they got wrong?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

25 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

As far as I can see the information that EHX provides on their homepage for this pedal is actual 100% factual correct.

What part of the description exactly is it that you think that they got wrong?

There's a control on it called "Distortion" and it's a fuzz.

It sounds like a fuzz and not a distortion.

12 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

There's a control on it called "Distortion" and it's a fuzz.

It sounds like a fuzz and not a distortion.

The pedals it is based on has historically been used as and called a distortion, just as the original Boss pedal was marketed as a distortion, and still classifies as such..

And the whole main appeal is that it is an updated version of the HM-2, and it is clear that it is also market towards people who already like or are interested in the HM-2 and the history/legacy that it comes with (as a distortion!).

Also I don't entirely agree with you either.

I'd say it is very much a distortion, if a very high gain distortion with somewhat fuzz like qualities at its upper gain reaches (also I might add it does sound more fuzz when used with bass, whereas it sounds a lot more like a distortion and less like a fuzz when used for guitar).

For me if EHX had called it as fuzz, that would have been a bit off to me, and I am quite certain for by far the majority of the whole main target group for this pedal.

7 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

The pedals it is based on has historically been used as and called a distortion, just as the original Boss pedal was marketed as a distortion, and still classifies as such..

And the whole main appeal is that it is an updated version of the HM-2, and it is clear that it is also market towards people who already like or are interested in the HM-2 and the history/legacy that it comes with (as a distortion!).

Also I don't entirely agree with you either.

I'd say it is very much a distortion, if a very high gain distortion with somewhat fuzz like qualities at its upper gain reaches.

For me if EHX had called it as fuzz, that would have been wrong to me, and I am quite certain for by far the majority of the whole main target group for this pedal.

I try not to speak for the majority until I've actually spoken to a majority of them to make sure I'm not presenting their views incorrectly.

44 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I try not to speak for the majority until I've actually spoken to a majority of them to make sure I'm not presenting their views incorrectly.

Yet you claim EHX are wrong about calling it a distortion and they should have called it a fuzz instead, despite that is what Boss calls the pedal it is based on, which has almost mythic status as a classic heavy metal DISTORTION pedal.

It has historical appeal and it is clear that this is the target group of customers EHX aim for too, calling it something else than what the original it is based on was/is called would be odd, if not straight out wrong of EHX.

Seems to me it is you who haven't done a proper background check before calling out EHX for being wrong.

Also I said i was quite certain, I didn't say I was 100% certain as a indisputable fact (though knowing the target group quite well I'd say I at least am more qualified than you in claiming I know what the majority of them thinks about the pedal in this regard). 

Not once have I seen any YouTuber or blogger call it a fuzz, even if some correctly have mentioned it's fuzz like qualities (I suppose because the original pedal this is based on was historically, and is still, marketed as a high gain distortion).

Finally it's always a lot easier to call out a single point that might not have fully factual support than actually responding to the 100% valid facts presented in a given argument, it's called trolling and baiting, and I assume you did so because you know I was right in every other aspect, grabbing for straws.

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Sounds more like a fuzz than a distortion.

Nothing wrong with the tone, but it's not described well. EHX have a habit of doing that.

This, the reply I quoted you for in my initial reply that started this discussion, unlike the other replies I quoted you for, not presented as an opinion but a fact, and very much part of what I responded to in my following replies as well.

My argument and point with this whole discussion was that it indeed is described very well and on point.

Also I find it strange that you just ignore all the arguments I presented and instead bait for emotional response, if anything you are the one consciously trying to provoke a fight, rather than taking the grown up debate (or admit you might had been wrong if that is where it is at). 

Just because I think you are wrong and present, I believe actual very valid and actually logically founded, arguments why, doesn't mean that I am attacking you personally.

image.thumb.png.c15523f0b4e0bc506c58e1339b9d7959.png

image.thumb.png.04dd7cd475a753e919243be2033cfb44.png

31 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Also I find it strange that you just ignore all my arguments I presented and instead bait for emotional response, if anything you are the one consciously trying to provoke a fight, rather than taking the grown up debate (or admit you might had been wrong if that is where it is at). 

So if you think someone else is not doing the grown up debate and trying to provoke a fight, why don't you do the grown up thing and ignore it and move on?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

So if you think someone else is not doing the grown up debate and trying to provoke a fight, why don't you do the grown up thing and ignore it and move on?

I actually agree with you, it was stupid of me to take that bait.

• 7 months later...