Why become a member? ×

NBD - I made a thing...

lidl e

Finally, after weeks of getting parts, painting, paying too much, i finally have my dream P bass!

This is i guess a bitsa, but just about every bit is fender. I went with an allparts bridge as i wanted nickel and the body isnt a fender because i hate those crazy swimming pool routs they do! I also did schaller tuners as they were reversible. Tugbar ordered but not here yet.

I think it sounds perfect! So pleased! I guess I'll try and get some recordings, but i freeze up when i try and record myself!

20230526_140217.thumb.jpg.d066c84772a1420cdd8cb11e3ffeed9f.jpg

I do have a build thread here if you want to see what went into this

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

How much did it cost?  Love the look, btw.

I coild have gone cheaper on a lot of it, but i went all high quality and/or almost exclusively fender branded bits including labella flats.

The breakdown is approximately (in euros):

Neck: 249 from thomann.

Body: 160 from musicstore.de 

Paint: 110 (if i were more confident,  i could have halved this pricewise and bought fewer cans)

Loom from @KiOgon approx. 40-ish

Pickup (used, bought locally,, fender PV 63) 100

Additional parts (tuners, bridge, strapholders, shielding tape, pickguard etc) approx 330

So about a grand all in. Could have been done for much less easily. But it's exactly what i wanted, particularly the reverse headstock and the nitro finish which i love. The enjoyment i got out of the painting process makes the whole thing worth it.

Im not including all the bits for sanding and polishing which i went over the top on, but could have only spent about 25 in the end.

I did pay a local fella 100 quid to groove the nut and setup.

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

what made you pick alder over ash? 

33 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Availability

Just like Fender did back in ‘50s and ‘60s. 

That build is my current favourite P bass combo; loving it.

• Thanks 1

On 28/05/2023 at 12:51, lidl e said:

I did pay a local fella 100 quid to groove the nut and setup.

Love the build and if 1) you enjoy it and 2) you learn from it, thats worth it.  I like it, it's classy, but the only person who needs to like it is yourself :)

As I know little about this sort of stuff, why do you need someone to groove the nut please? Does this need to be very precise or it's an art rather than a science. Always happy to improve my ignorance (which is boundless)

Best wishes

Rob

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Love the build and if 1) you enjoy it and 2) you learn from it, thats worth it.  I like it, it's classy, but the only person who needs to like it is yourself :)

As I know little about this sort of stuff, why do you need someone to groove the nut please? Does this need to be very precise or it's an art rather than a science. Always happy to improve my ignorance (which is boundless)

Best wishes

Rob

Cheers, bud.

On the nut, i dont really have any tools (files) to do it, I've never dine it before and wanting this to be a bass i use heavily live, i wanted to make sure it was setup correctly.

Id say if i had the right files i would have tried to do it myself.