Why become a member? ×

Joyo Bass Specific Pedals

stewblack

Bass The World showed off a pedal recently, a sweet sounding low gain overdrive. I dug around a bit and found three pedals I hadn't seen before. A bass preamp, bass compressor and the OD mentioned.

Now I happen to rate Joyo and I'd love to try these but can't find them anywhere beyond those iffy Chinese sites.

Anyone got any inside information?

• Like 2

No idea where to get them, but I can inform that the bass preamp (Dr. J. Sparrow) is a clone of the Tech 21 BDDI Bass Driver V. 1, and that the bass overdrive (Moonbase) is based on a tube screamer, but tweaked for working better with bass (not 100% certain about it being a tube screamer variant though, just what I heard).

Also judging from the demos I've heard and own experience with the former two, their American Sound, Orange Juice and Ultimate Drive ironically sounds better for bass and has less low end loss than this dedicated bass overdrive.

Which, in the demos I've watched/heard at least, sounded somewhat weak, thin and fizzy.

Edit!!!: Just did a search, and appears Joyo came out with some new bass specific pedals, which appears to be all original, fairly recenly, which I assume are the ones you are speaking of, not the old ones, mentioned above?

And that new bass preamp Joyo R-26 MONOMYTH looks pretty amazing, with graphic EQ, blendable and foot switchable drive, optional cab sim, and all.

I'd say give it a couple of months and shops in Europe most likely will have them in stock.

It was the same thing when their Oxford Sound, Tech 21 Oxford clone, had just come out.

The Voice control on the MONOMYTH bass preamp kind of makes me wonder if this could be Joyo's own very unique take on the Tech 21 VT Bass, since the Voice control on their Tech 21 clones is the equivalent to the Character control on the original pedals.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, lonestar said:

I have a Joyo American Sound guitar pedal. It's really good, I'd be intrigued to try  their bass pedals

As I just edited into my initial reply:

Judging from the demos I've heard and own experience with the former two, their American Sound, Orange Juice and Ultimate Drive ironically sounds better for bass and has less low end loss than this dedicated bass overdrive.

Which, in the demos I've watched/heard at least, sounded somewhat weak, thin and fizzy.

Edit!: Just found out Joyo came out with some new bass specific pedals fairly recently, which appears to be all original, I was speaking on the old "Moonbase" one here.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

19 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

In that case you ought to try it for bass too.

Works great both as a bass preamp and as a bass drive (and a lot of people actually use it as such, either/both).

I imagine it would be good for di recording bass to add a bit of warmth like I do with guitar. I tend to use a pretty clean bass sound live.

The R series pedals are fab I think .I had the Aquarius and it was ace... This new bass drive definitely has Darkglass vibes.

I've bought many pedals from "iffy" Chinese sites (Ali etc) with no probs

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 1