Why become a member? ×

Barefaced… amp?

Pea Turgh

I was hoping to see a super light solid state or class g head from them along the lines of Handbox and Jad Freer stuff. Don't have an issue with class d gear at all but seems pretty saturated with options and something a bit different would be cool.

Maybe even just a lightweight power amp along the lines of the gss sumo.

Sure whatever it is will be cool though 🙌

3 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

One fine day I must get some recording done so I can challenge the class A/B fans to pick them from my tube and class D amps.

I'd love to do some proper ab comparison between amps with different power section types. I've owned Class D, SS and currently own an all valve, it'd be really interesting to know how much of what I like about them resulted from the pre-amp vs the power section etc. I did an AB at practice (I was early as always) with my GK Fusion S which I loved next to the Marshall VBA400 both in the front and into the return and begrudgingly had to give it to the Marshall on both counts. It wasn't a super fair test though given the VBA having to warm up and cool down between swapping over etc so it wasn't like I could just flick back and forth.

Just to clarify, I'm certainly not at all against class d heads but just mean I hope whatever they make is a little different to the options out there already.

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

But surely the power stages of all non valve amps are designed to be as transparent as the price point allows?

The "sound" is mostly in the pre-amp section (and any short-comings due to cost-cutting).

Possibly in a lot of cases but there are many others where the power section does have a huge influence. Most notable that I know of is GK and their trademark "riding the rails" tone by really pushing the power section.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Possibly in a lot of cases but there are many others where the power section does have a huge influence. Most notable that I know of is GK and their trademark "riding the rails" tone by really pushing the power section.

Is that the G.I.V.E aka Gate Induced Valve Effect?

The other people who properly messed with the power stage sold out to Fender. GenzBenz Streamliner.

I haven't heard if the new Genzler or Fender stuff carries the tech forward. It would be a shame if Fender own it but buried it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Is that the G.I.V.E aka Gate Induced Valve Effect?

The other people who properly messed with the power stage sold out to Fender. GenzBenz Streamliner.

I haven't heard if the new Genzler or Fender stuff carries the tech forward. It would be a shame if Fender own it but buried it.

Not sure exactly how it works tbh, my understanding of amps and technical terms is pretty much non-existent. You're probably right though, quite a valve-like compression, I want to say like sag but not sure that's the correct term. 

12 hours ago, BigRedX said:

But surely the power stages of all non valve amps are designed to be as transparent as the price point allows?

The "sound" is mostly in the pre-amp section (and any short-comings due to cost-cutting).

Not necessarily, it depends on the designer's intent and ability.

• Like 3