Why become a member? ×

Need help setting up a rig...

Archetype

Hey everyone.
I have been spending the last few days trying to work out how to get my bass rig up and running. And i decided it would be best to ask some more people.

First a little background - I play in a a Metal band, 5 string stuff mostly. My idea for my sound was a mix of 2 amps, one with all the bottom end and the other the treble with a lot more grit on it highly compressed (Strapping Young lad or Fear factory is a good example of the ideas were going in). However I'm also wanting to add some more effects into the mix for a few tracks so was considering the likes of the line 6 Pod X3.

The next part to this though is that the singer wants to add some samples to the music. As simple as this may sound, we cant go down the click track routes as the songs don't always start with drums, and getting the drummer to work with clicks is impossible! So the best option is to have a way of triggering the samples from a foot controller. Sadly this duty has been left for me since I'm the most technical in the group... *sigh*

So the idea i was working with was the have a Line 6 Pod X3 Line for me to get the sounds and effects on bass. And a sampler lined up to a FCB1010 since its the only board i can find that allows MIDI note on messages. Downside is thats a lot of pedal space and looks like it could end up as a lot of on stage foot work. Another thing i need to consider is that the set lists don't ten to get made for a gig until 5 minutes before we go on, so i need something that allows a lot of songs to be stored to avoid last minute scramble with the laptop to get it setup.

So. How would you do this setup? Something that wont take up the whole stage and is workable. Any ideas?

Cheers
G

First off - instead of the Line 6 unit, maybe look at a rack multi-FX that you can control with the same foot controller. Send a couple of channels to the FX unit for switching patches, the rest to the computer/sampler. If either the FX unit or the sampler have a MIDI thru port you should be able to set that up. Sorry I don't have any recommendations for you - I've only ever used individual stomp boxes.

Secondly, tell your band to give you a set list in good time or it's not going to work.

There. Easy. :)

Edit: To be honest though I'd be looking for a turntablist instead, which is what we're trying to do. The plan is to have someone on decks and FX, someone who's a mix of Terminator X and King Tubby. :rolleyes:

Edited by thisnameistaken

You could have a rack with a sampler and an effects unit, both MIDI controlled from your floor board. 1 DI box at the start of the chain to link to your bass amp, the output of your effects to a guitar amp, the ouput of the sampler to the desk.

Sounds like it's been pretty much sorted I guess. I'd do it differently personally, but that's just me. I don't like PODs or big samplers though. I'd use two bass rigs, one for bass and one for high gain/weird effects (this is what I do actually) and then use a Jamman for triggering samples.

Digitech Jamman is small, compact, cheap, self contained, doesn't require a big board of pedals and you can load samples really easily via USB. Mono only though, speaking as a live sound engineer though, I tend to run everything mono FOH anyway unless I get a really insistent keyboard player or something.

Edited by joegarcia

+1 on the Jamman just add the extra footswitch so you can click up and down patches.

My band use a lot of samples live on backing tracks and not all the songs start with the drums and if your drummer can't play to a click...... well that's another problem completely

Edited by tayste_2000