Why become a member? ×

Homemade bass

8 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Tbh if you find some oddments of timber knocking about, you could simply make your own tribute version, I've got some pukka grubby old slot headed screws if that helps 😁

Think I have my grandads old jar of slot head screws somewhere. 

But for added mojo I would use old hand made blacksmiths nails.

What could possibly go wrong when I make a 6 string bass using high tension flatwounds. 

I have a luthier mate who makes custom specials, says he can help me out, he has a 7 string neck I can have for 300 pounds, he paid 50 pounds, for my 6 string big finger conversion. And a nut he made himself with a mitre. Something about being touch sensitive in the first position, i think that means first fret only. And not anywhere else. I already have an artec hot rail pickup. Scale length 31.1" 

When I make it I want serious buyers only no test pilots or dreamers. Because when they hear it through my luthier mates big rig! A Carlsbro cobra 90w combo. They will know authority and so called heft.

(Actual comment about his big rig, from one of his ebay ads years ago)

38 minutes ago, Twincam said:

Think I have my grandads old jar of slot head screws somewhere. 

But for added mojo I would use old hand made blacksmiths nails.

What could possibly go wrong when I make a 6 string bass using high tension flatwounds. 

I have a luthier mate who makes custom specials, says he can help me out, he has a 7 string neck I can have for 300 pounds, he paid 50 pounds, for my 6 string big finger conversion. And a nut he made himself with a mitre. Something about being touch sensitive in the first position, i think that means first fret only. And not anywhere else. I already have an artec hot rail pickup. Scale length 31.1" 

When I make it I want serious buyers only no test pilots or dreamers. Because when they hear it through my luthier mates big rig! A Carlsbro cobra 90w combo. They will know authority and so called heft.

(Actual comment about his big rig, from one of his ebay ads years ago)

Sounds like you're sorted then 😁

3 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Put the money towards a cheapo chainsaw... ;)

Some people have said that I play the bass as I use a chainsaw, badly, dangerously and with little regard for anybody around me. Actually now I think about, just everybody says that.... I can state though, that up until now, I haven't lost any fingers playing bass, however I still have time. I did lose the end of my little finger in a non-music related accident, but I still don't play like Tommi Iommi though

11 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Some people have said that I play the bass as I use a chainsaw, badly, dangerously and with little regard for anybody around me. Actually now I think about, just everybody says that.... I can state though, that up until now, I haven't lost any fingers playing bass, however I still have time. I did lose the end of my little finger in a non-music related accident, but I still don't play like Tommi Iommi though

As long as you're having fun 😁