Why become a member? ×

Picking up the bass and finding the passion from a long hiatus

Laurence

Hello everyone,

Bit of a random one really, but I’m sure it’s something that many of us on here may have experienced. I’ve been playing bass since I was about 12/13 years old (I studied Bass at ACM from 17), to be honest it was the only thing that was ever in my peripheral vision in terms of hobby and career hopes. I’m now 30 and would really like to start playing again, but I’m lacking the passion, confidence and where to start from.

If anyone’s been through the same thing, I’d love to hear from you! Any help or advice would me much appreciated 🙏

Many thanks in advance,

Laurence

Just do it.

I took time out here and there for years at a time due to work pressure, family etc. I regret not just getting on with it and had I done so would be far better than I am.

Find others to play with. Be encouraged. Its a great thing to be able to play music. Don't throw away the time and effort you already put in. Build on it and keep going. 😀

I started at 15/16 yrs old, took lessons for few yrs and started in bands. I was a fanatic for playing bass, it was my main focus in life altho i had a great well paid job i always considered bass my hobby. Don't get me wrong if the perfect opportunity had come along i may have jumped at it but i guess i was just realistic about things.

At age 35 i had other priorities in life and gave up bands altogether altho still playing at home on occasion. I kept my last decent bass from 1989 my Warwick Thumb NT.

Then at age 50 i decided on a special birthday treat and got an Overwater custom 6 string fretless and from there i started playing with friends at jam sessions for a laugh and that put me back in the mood for bands and i restarted. When i retired at 55 i had lots more time and i've never been so busy playing in a 70's Glam rock covers band is my main band and i also play in a great fun classic punk band which for an old rock & prog fan was a surprise how much i enjoyed the challenge.

It might take a bit of time and effort to find the right people to get satisfaction from a band but with age comes a bit more acceptance of others.

Give it a go and just do it.

If it doesn't work out or you find yourself not enjoying it you can always just stop.

Dave

Well, if you played bass in the past, where to start from is rather simple. Pick the bass up, see what you can remember and if you can still do it. As for what you cannot do, the options are the same as for a teenager: either you figure out things bit by bit, learning songs you like by ear or with tabs/transcriptions, or you get lessons (teacher or online courses), or a bit of both.

If you do not have a bass anymore, go to a shop and buy one that feels nice. I recommend a cheap one just because you don't really know if you want to play unless you are actually playing.

As for confidence, I would take a different mindset. I don't want to be harsh but 30 is not an age where you pick the bass from scratch with the plan of making it a career, unless obviously you don't need to have a day job for some reason. You don't need to become good, you just need to become good enough to have fun playing. You don't need to have a busy band. Indeed, you may find that the way your life works now a busy band would be a pain. All you have to achieve is to have fun playing, which may happen from the moment you pick the bass up if you don't put pressure on yourself. I am not saying you cannot make it into a career. I am saying that there are intermediate steps and first you need to see how you like those.

I stopped playing when I was 18 for a bad tendinitis. I tried again at I think 27 or something and I made the mistake of putting pressure on myself, to try get back to where I was in terms of chops. Too much time allocated and too harsh on my tendinis. Not sure exactly what happened but I stopped after a few months.

Then I started again a year and a half ago. Almost by accident. I picked up the old bass with the intention of actually selling it. Had a noodle and haven't stopped playing since. I don't try to achieve anything specific but this does not mean that I don't practice and learn new things. I can't see this stopping because I do't see this as in or out anymore. Now I play every day, as much as I manage. I hope it stays the same and grows. But if in the future for some reason it becomes that I just play along the odd simple song on Saturday mornings that's fine. As long as it makes me happy.

As for the passion, not sure what you mean. If you don't want to do it then don't :D

Edited by Paolo85

I’d suggest that you don’t lack the passion as you say, otherwise you wouldn’t want to play again, if that makes sense.

My advice would just be to get started again, play at home alone, then along with some records to get yourself back up to speed and a bit more comfortable, then find a suitable band/informal jam nights/whatever. It’s crazy how being ‘out there’ playing from time to time can improve your playing, outlook and confidence levels, especially if they’re relaxed informal affairs.

I started playing when I was 14 and have had periods of a few years at times between bands where I’ve barely played. The above worked for me each time, though obvs YMMV.

Good luck with it!

Similar story really, started playing bass mid-teens (no grades, no other instruments other than recorder in Primary School), in & out of bands to my mid-20's, then life got in the way. Played a bit of guitar, but nothing serious.

Stopped playing for a few years, then started doing a part time recording course at the local college, started playing guitar a bit more as well as bass for song writing, and that kind of took over. Played bass on the recordings, but nothing more. That project developed into a band, but then that band folded, and basically stopped playing for a while and kind of fell out of love with playing.

Fast forward a few more years, looking for something to do, saw an ad for a bass player in a new originals band, answered the ad, met with the others and got on with them. A few line up changes and about 8 years later, we've recently released our first album. 

The beauty of doing the recording course, playing guitar & songwriting, I think I've picked up an appreciation of "serving the song".

• Like 2

Something will trigger the passion - it might be nailing a bass part from a favourite song, 'getting' a difficult bass lesson, finding a decent sound. Probably a combination of more than one thing. The confidence will come through playing and jamming with other like minded people. So all you have to do is pick up a bass and start playing. You'll probably surprise yourself with how much you remember from previous playing experience.

Personally, I find myself most passionate and motivated when I'm practising and rehearsing for a gig. Usually at the end of the rehearsal where everything is clearly coming together. 

• Like 2