Why become a member? ×

1978 Guild B301 Fretless SOLD pending.....

Rayman

Unusual one this.....

First off, it's not mine. It's been in my mates loft for many years untouched. 20 years since last picking up a bass, he's decided to have another go, but he wants a 4 string fretted bass to replace this one.

From the serial number, we believe it to be from 1978, it's a US made Guild, model B301F.

Sometime in it's life, someone (not my mate), had fitted some kind of humbucker style pickup at the bridge, and I have to say, it's a pretty crude job. The body has been routed for the pup to drop in, and the scratchplate cut around the pup, not the tidiest job I've ever seen. No idea what the mystery pup is, but it's been there a [i]looong[/i] time. The bridge pup is not height adjustable, as it's just screwed down onto the body.

It all works fine, the neck is a glued in one and looks straight, and I've lemon oiled the fingerboard, and it has Schaller tuners.

Solid mahogany, and built to last, it's a bit of an old classic in need of some TLC from someone.

Nice mwaah tone from it, lovely smooth fretboard.

There's a few knocks around it, and some buckle rash on the back, but it's in surprisingly good nick for a bass from the late 70's.

There's no case though, so I would prefer to meet someone somewhere (within reason) with it to avoid postage.

I [i]genuinely[/i] don't know what to ask for it?? It's not in original condition, but it's a quality bass. Anyone got any ideas???

Cash only though I think, I don't think he'll be interested in trades.

Cheers,

Russ.

Edited by Rayman

Ugh, that's disgusting butchery.

FYI: the humbucker looks awfully like a DiMarzio Model One, and it is height adjustable to a degree, by raising/lowering the pole pieces with an appropriate sized allen key.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='476213' date='Apr 30 2009, 05:31 PM']Nice.
That extra pup is obviously a neck job not a bridge one though.[/quote]

???

It's 100% the bridge pickup that isn't original, the 301's came with a single coil in the middle of the body as seen on a google image search :)

[quote name='Rayman' post='476690' date='May 1 2009, 09:05 AM']Steve, it's here for you to try any time you like mate.[/quote]

You free either saturday early evening (6ish)

or sometime Sunday?

Can you PM me your number and I'll give you a call, can bring some toys with me if you fancy :)

Here's a clip of Guild B301F in action:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=HsxSvI8dqAg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=...p;v=HsxSvI8dqAg[/url]