Why become a member? ×

1992 Fender American Vintage 62 Reissue Jazz Full Renovation

vinorange

Well, I've been persuaded to add pics of a renovation I carried out on a recently acquired 1992 Fender Jazz 62 reissue stacked knob rarity.

So my jazz started out life looking a little worn - as is the way with a nitro finished 1992 bass that has been gigged a fair amount.

The finish had matured to a cream finish and had extensive chips and finish wear. Luckily there weren't really any deep gouges although the finish had worn to the wood sealer on the back.

The headstock decal outline was clearly visible and had started to look worn. Screws were rusted, earth strip to bridge corroded, pickup poles rusty. Pickup covers and pickguard

All the hardware and electronics were original and worked fine so, apart from a polish, nothing required there. Pickup covers and pickguard original but, politely, a bit worn in. Headstock edges were generally dinged commensurate with age and engagement with adjacent drummers equipment!!

With all the above I decided on a full body strip, prep, prime and refinish in period correct Olympic white nitrocellulose and a matching headstock face refinish.

B4 1.jpg

B4 6.jpg

B4 7.jpg

B4 8.jpg

B4 2.jpg

B4 3.jpg

• Like 4

So I took the bass to bits and took some extra photos for record. As I wasn't intending posting the update on here I didn't take photos of every step but a description hopefully will suffice;

The body was stripped back to the nitro wood sealer. All paint was sanded back using 400 / 800 wet and dry. Any break through to the wood was sealed with nitrocellulose wood sealer, left to dry and flatted with 800 wet and dry ready for priming.

Primer was Northwest Guitars nitrocellulose primer and is excellent. Only when you get a coat of primer on can you lay a critical eye over the body. Primer was flatted back and any areas requiring minor filling were filled with epoxy wood filler to avoid shrinkage. In this case the dings were tiny and hardly needed anything. The strap button holes had been enlarged over the years so needed some epoxy wood filler in to close up the holes a touch prior to cracking on.

So body prepared, repairs done and to get it ready for top coat I finished off the priming with one can of nitro primer. Left to dry for 1 day and then flatted with 800 / 1200 wet and dry ready for top coats.

The headstock was a challenge as the edges were tatty. They needed to be 100% square to take a headstock refinish otherwise the finish bleeds into the edge chips so I set about sanding back the face with 400 wet n dry and the edges similarly with a sanding block to get the edges to as near flat / 90 degrees as poss.

The decal itself was from Rob at www.guitardecals.co.uk. To be sure I sent the pic below to make sure it was 100% reproduction.

20230407_204542.jpg

20230407_204548.jpg

20230409_184751.jpg

• Like 1

With the headstock edges back to the wood, they were sanding sealed with nitro sanding sealer and I managed to find out that the neck colour is a special honey tint.

Dartfords guitar do a really good match for the headstock / neck and as the gloss on the neck has already been knocked back using 0000 grade wire wool it looked like I could blend in the honey tint. Here's the lacquer; https://dartfords.com/products/dartfords-honey-nitrocellulose-guitar-neck-lacquer-230ml-tin?_pos=4&_psq=honey&_ss=e&_v=1.0

I set about refinishing the headstock edges and feathering in the finish with the existing finish. I left it to dry and then flatted the finish but this time with scratch free sanding paper by Kovax call Tolecut 1500 pink. It's a miracle product as the sanding is as it says, scratch free. No polishing at this point as it would react with the next stage.

• Like 1

Once satisfied that the headstock edges had the correct colour and was dry enough, I set about the headstock face. The edges were masked using green frog tape. It's high tack but will not take off a recent finish when removed. The nut was masked (the bottom of the nut and fretboard) and the join between the rosewood board and the headstock face was carefully matched so the line would be authentic. No gap can be left here otherwise you'll see white / wood / rosewood and the whole thing has to be done again.

Primer applied, left to dry, flatted with kovax tolecut and then 2 or 3 coats of nitro white applied. Left to dry and then, when satisfied, the decal was applied. Any finish dips will disappear once lacquered so no worries with little finish dips.......

20230418_210252.jpg

• Like 2

Once satisfied it's time to go for it and lacquer the headstock face. Now it's time to remove the masking tape from the headstock edges. Check for any spill of white into the edges and remove with a sharp scalpel delicately scraped along the whole of the headstock edge. This removes any slight paint spill - which I did have - and also removes the inevitable slightly sharp edges.

The decal application is tricky. I should have said that you need to carefully follow the instructions. Immerse in water for 30 seconds, apply and then work out any bubbles gently with a cloth.

Do not move on to lacquering before 100% happy....Anyway, I was happy so applied a dust coat of lacquer to make sure the decal didn't melt. Then gently built up around 6 - 8 coats of lacquer. Again it was nitrocellulose clear gloss lacquer to be vintage correct (although I'm not sure the original had been flatted as the decal edges were visible). Applied with face flat (the guitar's not mine).

Left to dry for 24 hours, then flatting time with Kovax Tolecut 1500. The flatting is done with bright light so that firstly the orange peel effect starts to disappear and so that the decal edges start to disappear. Eventually the edges do blend in. You may see tiny shiny reflections of light and this is any remaining low spots in the finish. That means you need to carry on gently flatting the finish. If feeling unconfident at this point, apply more lacquer but if sure that you have enough, just keep on going until the last pin prick light reflections have gone.

Then polish with Meguiars cut and polish. One application cloth, one polishing cloth, one buffing cloth.

Any intentional overspray on the edges can be flatted back using Tolecut again and the sides can now be polished too.

Final pic is during re-assembly some days later but worth showing the final stage. If anything looks a bit too shiny at this point the gloss can be knocked back a little with the tolecut paper..

20230423_172832.jpg

20230423_181011.jpg

20230423_181014.jpg

20230423_181018.jpg

20230423_181024.jpg

20230425_223018.jpg

Edited by vinorange
  • Like 8

In the meantime the body had been painted using 3 cans of nitrocellulose olympic white from Northwest guitars. Amazing paint.

The body had a lovely 3 x 2 bit of wood for hanging and to make sure the neck recess markings were preserved.

The process is paint the edges and contours first and then paint the front and back in overlapping paint passes. Paint overlaps by around 1" per pass and magically being nitro, melts into the other pass. Don't worry about orange peel, Kovax is your friend (or enemy) later.

The 3 cans gave me around 10 coats of nitro which is probably more than original finishes.

Each coat needs around 15 mins to tack dry but all 10 coats have to be applied consecutively over around 3 hours.

It is then left to dry for around 2 weeks somewhere warm and dry (make sure nobody is going to use your shower if you use your designer shower enclosure....,,...

20230416_143626.jpg

20230416_143619.jpg

20230416_143632.jpg

• Like 4

So 2 weeks later, remove the wood hanger, place on a towel and start using the Kovax Tolecut 1500 pink pads to gently flat the finish. Use a sanding block for the flat parts and be very careful with body contours and edges. Sand paper will cut though to the wood in no time and then it's back a step or two.

The whole body needs to be flatted in the same way as the headstock using natural sunlight to check for low spots (shiny pin prick spots) or UV light. Even kitchen spotlights will show up any low spots. Eventually, after many hours of gently flatting of the finish, there will be no lo spots left and no shiny pin prick spots glaring back and taunting you and your aching elbow.

Once 100% happy with the flatting then it's on to Meguires cut and polish again. Same process. Takes ages to get the scratch free flatting to a shine......

Then it's on to re-assembly. The most satisfying stage.

I'll add some better pics outside when the sun shines again (could be a while) but you catch the drift. It now looks mint and I took the liberty of treating it to some genuine Fender ashtray covers. I think it looks lovely and it plays and sounds great too. What's not to like (hopefully nothing..........)

20230425_223014.jpg

20230425_223008.jpg

20230426_080143.jpg

• Like 6

Oh yeah, all the rusty screws were replaced with Fender replacements, the earthing strip and all hardware was polished with Autoglym metal polish, the scratch plate polished and it had a fret level, crown and polish too......

The stack pot knobs do need a clean but that's for another day........

Interesting move to lacquer over the decal - are you aware that the 62 AVRI Jazz Basses have the waterslide decal sat on top of the lacquer and they didn't clear coat over them? This is period-correct as Fender didn't start lacquering over them until the late 60s, and it's why the edges of the decal were clearly visible!

Regardless, lovely job and looks great, good work! 

Edited by bakerster135

12 minutes ago, bakerster135 said:

Interesting move to lacquer over the decal - are you aware that the 62 AVRI Jazz Basses have the waterslide decal sat on top of the lacquer and they didn't clear coat over them? This is period-correct as Fender didn't start lacquering over them until the late 60s, and it's why the edges of the decal were clearly visible!

Regardless, lovely job and looks great, good work! 

I did know that but being a bit of a perfectionist, I couldn't stand seeing the decal edges. It looks awful but doesn't now! It's a keeper anyway so is for my own satisfaction.

Edited by vinorange
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, vinorange said:

So 2 weeks later, remove the wood hanger, place on a towel and start using the Kovax Tolecut 1500 pink pads to gently flat the finish. Use a sanding block for the flat parts and be very careful with body contours and edges. Sand paper will cut though to the wood in no time and then it's back a step or two.

The whole body needs to be flatted in the same way as the headstock using natural sunlight to check for low spots (shiny pin prick spots) or UV light. Even kitchen spotlights will show up any low spots. Eventually, after many hours of gently flatting of the finish, there will be no lo spots left and no shiny pin prick spots glaring back and taunting you and your aching elbow.

Once 100% happy with the flatting then it's on to Meguires cut and polish again. Same process. Takes ages to get the scratch free flatting to a shine......

Then it's on to re-assembly. The most satisfying stage.

I'll add some better pics outside when the sun shines again (could be a while) but you catch the drift. It now looks mint and I took the liberty of treating it to some genuine Fender ashtray covers. I think it looks lovely and it plays and sounds great too. What's not to like (hopefully nothing..........)

20230425_223014.jpg

20230425_223008.jpg

20230426_080143.jpg

i'm currently one week into a 3 week curing process for my nitro so i am very interested in your polsihing process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lidl e said:

so you didn't do a progressive wetsand? just those pads and then poloish?

i don't know kovax, but it looks very expensive!

Gorgeous job!

I didn't do a progressive wet sand. I went on a bass maintenance course with Jon Shuker and he recommended using Kovax Tolecut 1500 paper - it's what he uses so good enough for me. It's about £45 for a packet of it but that will last a long time - probably 5 bass bodies. It leaves a very flat scratch free finish that is ready for cut and polish. Again Jon recommended Meguires cut and polish and I find the combination is brilliant. I used to do a lot of car body work and tolecut is a revelation compared to wet sanding. Give it a go on an area to be hidden or trial it on something else. It's transformational!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, vinorange said:

I didn't do a progressive wet sand. I went on a bass maintenance course with Jon Shuker and he recommended using Kovax Tolecut 1500 paper - it's what he uses so good enough for me. It's about £45 for a packet of it but that will last a long time - probably 5 bass bodies. It leaves a very flat scratch free finish that is ready for cut and polish. Again Jon recommended Meguires cut and polish and I find the combination is brilliant. I used to do a lot of car body work and tolecut is a revelation compared to wet sanding. Give it a go on an area to be hidden or trial it on something else. It's transformational!

Is this the same stuff or are you using pads? 

https://www.pro-detailing.de/products/kovax-tolecut-abrasive-kit-p1500-p2000-p3000?variant=34845668802728&currency=EUR&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwuqiiBhBtEiwATgvixH0JynU56NTAR_BLLLf7xEo5GHl8KeqvJ00YUhfyRMKwuy-annC1yRoCD18QAvD_BwE

25 minutes ago, lidl e said:

It is but there that's £15 for one sheet.......

I got mine from here; https://www.carcolourservices.co.uk/product/kovax-tolecut-pink-sheet-70x114mm-p1500/

They come in a box of 70 sheets. Each sheet has 8 squares that tear off & fit on the little Kovax rubber sanding block. Handy to get one of those too but don't pay £15 per sheet!

Oh yeah and the little squares adhere nicely to your finger tip for flatting around the contours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The bass used to be mine in the heavily mojo'd condition. When Vin sent me a couple of updates on the refinish I had absolutely no idea just how painstaking and exhaustive (and exhausting!) this process actually was. Looks incredible now. Tremendous skills Vin, hat well and truly tipped!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vinorange said:

It is but there that's £15 for one sheet.......

I got mine from here; https://www.carcolourservices.co.uk/product/kovax-tolecut-pink-sheet-70x114mm-p1500/

They come in a box of 70 sheets. Each sheet has 8 squares that tear off & fit on the little Kovax rubber sanding block. Handy to get one of those too but don't pay £15 per sheet!

Oh yeah and the little squares adhere nicely to your finger tip for flatting around the contours.

Interesting!

The link i put is actually for three sheets and the block.

They sell individual sheets for 2.99 though.

The box you linked to says 25 sheets per box. I think th 70 is the size. So about £1.40 per sheet. I think u have that right. 

I just ordered a kit and a few extra sheets. Definitely more than getting a bigger box, but not significantly and im not sure if i'll ever need again.

Thanks for the rip for sure! Will let you know how i get on. 

I got some 2000 and 3000 as well just to see how shiny i can go!

I'm just wondering if starting with the 1500 will work to get out thw few slight imperfections i was planning on getting down with 800 wetsand. I'd assume Jon Shuker is starting with a much better spray than i will be!

Can you link me to the meguiar product you use? I see meguiars cut and meguiars polish but nit cut and polish. Is it two different products you used? Is it heavy cut?

Cheers!

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, vinorange said:

It's actually called meguires ultimate compound. Used to be cut and polish. My apologies.

It is a cut and polish in one and, as meguires say, it obsoletes normal cutting compound. Highly recommended.....

I will find it!

On 27/04/2023 at 10:30, vinorange said:

Well, I've been persuaded to add pics of a renovation I carried out on a recently acquired 1992 Fender Jazz 62 reissue stacked knob rarity.

So my jazz started out life looking a little worn - as is the way with a nitro finished 1992 bass that has been gigged a fair amount.

The finish had matured to a cream finish and had extensive chips and finish wear. Luckily there weren't really any deep gouges although the finish had worn to the wood sealer on the back.

The headstock decal outline was clearly visible and had started to look worn. Screws were rusted, earth strip to bridge corroded, pickup poles rusty. Pickup covers and pickguard

All the hardware and electronics were original and worked fine so, apart from a polish, nothing required there. Pickup covers and pickguard original but, politely, a bit worn in. Headstock edges were generally dinged commensurate with age and engagement with adjacent drummers equipment!!

With all the above I decided on a full body strip, prep, prime and refinish in period correct Olympic white nitrocellulose and a matching headstock face refinish.

B4 1.jpg

B4 6.jpg

B4 7.jpg

B4 8.jpg

B4 2.jpg

B4 3.jpg

Looks quite tidy really 

On 27/04/2023 at 20:25, vinorange said:

Meguiar's G17216EU Ultimate Compound Colour & Clarity Restorer 450ml for hand or machine polisher application https://amzn.eu/d/68tRxOS

Just ordered me some ultimate compound and some meguiars application pads! 

I'll tag you when i do the polishing

I'm sure my wife is going to ask why i spent 55 quid on car detailing stuff!

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1