Why become a member? ×

What the hell are these?

robjwood

I acquired two bass guitars off an old boss of mine years ago. One, as you'll see, is unplayable in its current form and other is marginally better.

What I want to know is what the hell are they and are either of them worth bothering with?

First guitar:

IMG_20230419_144108153.thumb.jpg.dcdc65ac3734795ef13ad80654ce5a70.jpgIMG_20230419_144042386.thumb.jpg.9d2265ad9ade3611b818891b6495bef9.jpg

Second guitar:

0gQywIU9odrxtmFlV8aVmllERVpbI6XkBKAAiNxV

Edited by robjwood

First pics should load now!

It looks like this bass has been butchered a bit. The tuning pegs are Ibanez branded so I think the previous owner added them later.

I've seen a few very similar-looking basses to the top one which all look basically the same but with different branding on the headstock (Aria, Commodore, Lyle).

There are holes on the headstock so I'm wondering if the previous owner removed the original logo and stuck a Roland sticker on it?

God knows why...

The first bass is reminiscent of KAY branded medium scale basses which were fairly common in the 1970s and even into the early 1980s. There used to be a pawn shop /music store I recall in the east end of Glasgow in the late 70s called Golumb's. That was when you could actually still come across a genuine pawn shop bargain. They sold all manner of new Kay design guitars and basses alongside pawned p-basses. jazz basses and even gibson RD basses and the like etc. The Kay stuff always seemd to have quite thin bodies and seemed flimsy to me but lots of people used them as they were inexpensive, cheerful, and actually quite playable. No idea what that second bass is.  

• Like 1

I had a bass like the one in the first picture. Mine had both of the big chrome pickups and it actually sounded immense. Was a bit of a mutt to play though, so I moved it on. Name on the headstock was either Columbus or Commodore, I’ll check my old ebay photos later. I loved the look and sound of it. Short scale, 30”. 

• Like 1

The one I had was like the first one on your list, a Commodore. The name on the headstock was a sort of gold plastic badge tacked-on with two little pins. 

On my old laptop I had all the pics I took of it for my ebay listing when I sold it but I only have 3 not very good pics on my current one:

DSCN1616.thumb.jpg.25850adb2f4c27b635b0614f17f46f96.jpg DSCN1624.thumb.jpg.a3718f703e432c4bcc38e5eecd2eb788.jpg

DSCN1635.thumb.jpg.8e21d4fb45f96556167ae0c8fa1eded5.jpg

The bridge cover is an obvious later replacement and the tugbar was missing but that's how I got it. Thought I had more pics, sorry @robjwood

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1