Why become a member? ×

Dick Nolan (It Bites) - What's he doing now?

iamthewalrus

[quote name='YouMa' timestamp='1241034928' post='475467']
Is this the calling all the heros,it bites.
[/quote]
Yes it is. Although TBH that's a bit like asking "is this the 'Frog Chorus' Paul McCartney?" :lol: I've always thought it a real shame that they are remembered mainly for one of their poorest songs. I guess that's what happens when you're something of a one-hit-wonder.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1419327017' post='2638705']

Yes it is. Although TBH that's a bit like asking "is this the 'Frog Chorus' Paul McCartney?" :lol: I've always thought it a real shame that they are remembered mainly for one of their poorest songs. I guess that's what happens when you're something of a one-hit-wonder.
[/quote]

Great analagy.

Or the Brick In The Wall - Pink Floyd.

[quote name='StevieC' timestamp='1419322530' post='2638645']

Can't agree with that! If you mean The Tall Ships was more pop than rock then I would agree to an extent but old It Bites stuff is sprinkled with pop such as 'hunting the Whale' from Eat me in St. Louis'.

TTS contains great songwriting, playing and production and John Mitchell's guitar playing is awesome.

Stevie
[/quote]
Hunting the Whale pop?! It's from Once Around The World.

Calling all the Heroes is a great song, especially the proggy live version.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1419339659' post='2638887']
Calling all the Heroes is a great song, especially the proggy live version.
[/quote] Indeed. I keep suggesting to my proggy lot that we cover the live version from 'When The Lights Go Down" as a set closer epic including the segue into the end of "Once Around The World". Sadly it keeps getting bypassed from the list of new songs :(

It Bites have to be one of my favourite bands (both the original and reformed versions) along with The Tubes & Spock's Beard.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1419375829' post='2639433']
Indeed. I keep suggesting to my proggy lot that we cover the live version from 'When The Lights Go Down" as a set closer epic including the segue into the end of "Once Around The World". Sadly it keeps getting bypassed from the list of new songs :(
[/quote]
I would dearly love to do Midnight, Kiss Like Judas or Screaming On The Beaches some day. Need the right band first :(

• 5 months later...
  • 7 years later...

A bit of a necrobump post but D!ck will be playing bass tomorrow in a friend's Americana band called The Cripple Creek Band at The Cavern,  Raynes Park at 3pm (Sunday 20th November)

Edit: Post won't allow me to put the shortened version of Richard D!ck

Edited by Kebabkid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Another resuscitation of this thread. Just sold my AVRI Jazz to D!ck (had to use ! as BC autocorrected, sigh. Met him at nearby train station and had a good chat. He has been mainly playing with Ray Davies for last deacde or so but, as that has wound down, he is now playing in friend's band, the Cripple Creek Band, playing classic Americana/rock like CSNY etc. Super friendly guy with a lot of stories to tell!

Edited by Clarky

19 minutes ago, Clarky said:

he is now playing in friend's band, the Cripple Creek Band, playing classic Americana/rock like CSNY etc.

Saw them at The Cavern in Raynes Park, SW London. Nice guy and great player. A couple of the guys in the band are also in Simply Dan (Steely Dan tribute).

• Like 1