Why become a member? ×

Chrome vs nickel?

Martin E

I'm considering replacing the tuners and bridge on a Player Jazz bass with some more 'vintage' looking items and am having the chrome vs nickel debate with myself.

I've never had nickel hardware before and am tempted to go that route. I appreciate it ages differently to chrome which I'm quite happy with. (I have no chrome ashtray or pickup cover to consider though I guess the control plate should also match).

All totally unnecessary of course, I just like tinkering.

Does anyone have any words of advice before I proceed? I believe Fender themselves used a mixture of finishes over the years even on the same instruments.

If you're wanting to go vintage then Nickel is the way to go - I think we've only had Chrome for just over a century. Finding said nickel parts on the other hand is a different matter. Chrome parts are everywhere...not so with nickel, gold, brass, etc.

Why not buy a cheap set of hardware and leave it in a bucket in the garden for a few months.

20 hours ago, TheGreek said:

If you're wanting to go vintage then Nickel is the way to go - I think we've only had Chrome for just over a century. Finding said nickel parts on the other hand is a different matter. Chrome parts are everywhere...not so with nickel, gold, brass, etc.

Why not buy a cheap set of hardware and leave it in a bucket in the garden for a few months.

You mean decade, not century. ;)

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

We've only had chrome for a decade???

My memory isn't that bad...

Well, I wouldn't know honestly (or, well, guess I do actually looking at my own basses), but I do know we didn't even have electric basses 100 years ago, which would be a century, and even less over a 100 years ago.

So unless you were joking, and it went over my head, it seems like we would both be wrong.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 2 weeks later...

Chrome plating - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Chrome_plating

Prior to the application of chrome in the 1920s, nickel electroplating was used. In the short production run prior to the US entry into the Second World War, ...

On 01/05/2023 at 20:45, TheGreek said:

Chrome plating - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Chrome_plating

Prior to the application of chrome in the 1920s, nickel electroplating was used. In the short production run prior to the US entry into the Second World War, ...

Ah sorry, yeah, I just didn't realize we had changed the topic of this thread from vintage electrical basses, as of OP, to what they did prior to 1920 in general.

My bad, totally.

Sure if the topic is now what they did a century ago, rather than vintage electrical basses, then sure a century ago would be the correct answer.

Silly me, assuming we were trying to actually help OP.

But I totally get why that idea is laughable now. :laugh1:

Right, guys?

Right...

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 16/04/2023 at 15:59, Martin E said:

I'm considering replacing the tuners and bridge on a Player Jazz bass with some more 'vintage' looking items and am having the chrome vs nickel debate with myself.

I've never had nickel hardware before and am tempted to go that route. I appreciate it ages differently to chrome which I'm quite happy with. (I have no chrome ashtray or pickup cover to consider though I guess the control plate should also match).

All totally unnecessary of course, I just like tinkering.

Does anyone have any words of advice before I proceed? I believe Fender themselves used a mixture of finishes over the years even on the same instruments.

I was told a few years ago by a consultant in hospital who was running me through a variety of 'allergy tests', that by far the most common allergy seen in bassists in his opinion, was that to nickel. I changed to stainless strings and allergic reaction stopped within a day or two. Just something to be aware of if you are allergic.

Edited by snorkie635
  • Like 1

Nickel has a yellow hue to its colour and tarnishes much quicker than chrome (which has a blue hue)

Underneath chrome is nickel (and sometimes underneath that is copper)

There is a way to strip the chrome off and just leave the nickel. You could take the parts to an electroplating place and ask them to strip the chrome (we used to do that occasionally).