Why become a member? ×

New pickup for epi eb0

oldsod

Hi all, i have an epiphone eb0 that desperately needs a new pickup and electrics, i would like to go solderless if possible, i am thinking about di'marzio dp120 with push pull for series parallel operation but not to sure, any advice would be very gratefully received. This is my backup bass for when my shoulder injury acts up and stretching to the low end becomes awkward. Music played, classic rock, reggae, soul, blues well almost anything really. Cheers all, looking forward to suggestions.

I fitted a DiMarzio to an Epiphone EB-0 some years back, more recently the Artec to an Antoria EB-3.  To my ears there was little difference, I actually preferred the Artec which if I recall was around 1/4 of the price.  I'd be interested to hear the Retrovibe one as all the Retrovibe pickups I have had fitted - the 50s single coil P bass and the Rickenbacker style - are absolutely tbrilliant.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Interesting post guys.

I recently acquired an EB0. I found that the Epi pup was okay in tone, but definitely didn't set the world alight. Also I discovered a dead spot around the E string, so much that I had to unscrew and raise the pole to such an extent that it became a sloppy fit. The Artic brand is the one I am going for as all reviews prove that it maintains the mudbucker tone most authentically. Going for ceramic magnets rather than Alnicos to keep the boom in check. Looking forward to it's arrival. Will keep you posted.

Screenshot_20230512-221012.thumb.png.74ee21b4c989efa4f4e5158084517e64.png

• Like 2

On 10/04/2023 at 10:31, Paul S said:

I fitted a DiMarzio to an Epiphone EB-0 some years back, more recently the Artec to an Antoria EB-3.  To my ears there was little difference, I actually preferred the Artec which if I recall was around 1/4 of the price.  

+1

I fitted an Artec EBC-4 to my reissue Epiphone Newport bass and it adds so much more of the 60's & 70's Gibson EBO/EB3 low end to the Newport. The combination of the EBC-4 and the stock TB Pro bridge Pup offers a very wide range of tone colours with the simplicity of balance control. 

The Artec EBC-4 is a great upgrade for any EBO /EB3. 

• Like 1

The Artec pickup I tried was no different than the Epi pickup, both a far cry in depth and output from an original Gibson humbucker.

There must be more to it than the 30kΩ resistance.
The magnets in the Artec were in the wrong orientation on my pickup but correcting them made no difference.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2023 at 22:25, goingdownslow said:

The Artec pickup I tried was no different than the Epi pickup, both a far cry in depth and output from an original Gibson humbucker.

The magnets in the Artec were in the wrong orientation on my pickup but correcting them made no difference.

Good to know the the magnet orientation made no difference, as I never checked when I installed my Artec yesterday. Is it that obvious to tell which way around they go?

On 15/05/2023 at 22:41, lidl e said:

I just put a Dimarzio mudbucker in a bass snd i absolutely love it. Great output and killer tone.

I thought about choosing a Dimarzio, but understood it's humbucker rather than a true mudbucker design, and I honestly like that old tone. If it were my only bass then I would have gone Dimarzio for more tonal width.

Luckily my Trace Elliot amp works well with the Artec.

Edited by Col the Plunker
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Col the Plunker said:

I thought about choosing a Dimarzio, but understood it's humbucker rather than a true mudbucker design, and I honestly like that old tone. If it were my only bass then I would have gone Dimarzio for more tonal width.

Luckily my Trace Elliot amp works well with the Artec.

It also looks so cool!

I find myself using it more than the bart J or MM i have in the same bass. My frankenstein i built. 

I hooked it up to a 12 step varitone knob and i just love it!  

It is very very versatile 

20230412_140043.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Col the Plunker said:

Good to know the the magnet orientation made no difference, as I never checked when I installed my Artec yesterday. Is it that obvious to tell which way around they go?

I was meaning more along the lines of when corrected it still never sounded like a Gibson mudbucker.

The orientation does need to be correct

If I remember correctly the 4 magnets have a white mark along the edge. These all want to be facing away from each other or all on the steel plate.

Forget about 'like poles repel, unlike poles attract', the steel plate wants only one (the same) polarity on it from all 4 magnets.

Edited by goingdownslow
  • Thanks 1

On 15/05/2023 at 22:41, lidl e said:

I just put a Dimarzio mudbucker

There was no such thing.

The Model One was intended to be a drop-in replacement for EB models but that was all.

Clue is given in the first sentence.

DiMarzio.jpg.236a34a6301bfead0a3799c611a2033e.jpg

The name Sentell gave to their version makes no bones about it's purpose 😃

UnMudbucker.jpg.a172e64a2fceeea0ea0fd8537d545476.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

There was no such thing.

The Model One was intended to be a drop-in replacement for EB models but that was all.

Clue is given in the first sentence.

DiMarzio.jpg.236a34a6301bfead0a3799c611a2033e.jpg

The name Sentell gave to their version makes no bones about it's purpose 😃

UnMudbucker.jpg.a172e64a2fceeea0ea0fd8537d545476.jpg

I found that out after i out it in! It sounds incredible and loke i said, so versatile.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2023 at 21:20, lidl e said:

It also looks so cool!

I find myself using it more than the bart J or MM i have in the same bass. My frankenstein i built. 

I hooked it up to a 12 step varitone knob and i just love it!  

It is very very versatile 

20230412_140043.jpg

Wow! 

That is one killer looking SG. Talk me through that beauty!

PS: I'm loving the Artec. I wasn't expecting it to be so LOUD...

• Thanks 1

On 15/05/2023 at 22:25, goingdownslow said:

I'm really surprised about that, as dropping in the Artec to me was like the difference between a rain shower, and a monsoon! 

Then again, the original Epi pickup did seem pretty flat sounding to start with.

32 minutes ago, Col the Plunker said:

Wow! 

That is one killer looking SG. Talk me through that beauty!

PS: I'm loving the Artec. I wasn't expecting it to be so LOUD...

Cheers, my man. it's a homemade bass i made back like 20 years ago. Built with a buddy from raw wood.

I never got it right and recently pulled it out and brought it to a local luthier to do a bunch of major modifications to it. It is an unreal tonemonster now! So flexible. I used it to record most of our next album. 

It's a bit heavy, but under 10 lbs, but it has literally every tone under the sun! One of the mods i did was put a 12 position varitone in.

I made a short build thread here when i had the mods done going through the bits: