Why become a member? ×

Reverend Road Trip

Duroc17

So I woke up early and thought why don’t I make a 400 mile round trip up to Glasgow to go see the Reverend bass collection at Merchant City Music - I may have a problem - I’m selling most of my basses but keep seeing the buzz and Reverend - and had day free so hey. 

Anyway tried the Decision P which was ok - neck was alright but i can’t get over the extra offsetness of the bodies. Next I tried the Triad and it had 2 really really nice pickup options out of the 5 - the bridge pick up was thin but the neck and middle together was great. But the aesthetics are not for me. 

Whilst I was there, the staff were attentive but also let you get in with it. So I tried some more options- JMJ Mustang - yep good 👍 Nate Mendel P - awful set up and just wasn’t feeling it - FGN Jazz - didn’t note model about about £600 - very great playing neck - sounds good but not for me - then the Gold Foil Fender Jazz - WTF is going on with MIM Fender? The neck felt awful- £1300 to feel fret edges under binding - it just felt not worth it. Then at more than 6 times cheaper the SX P £200 - great neck - the pups had less output - but some good pickups and maybe bridge upgrade/ tuners could be a really useful back up. I stupidly didn’t have a go of the anniversary 4005 Ric- can’t afford it anyway. 

Had quick drive round the city then drive home £60 petrol and no bass bought but tempted to get an SX and upgrade it 

Edited by Duroc17
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Duroc17 said:

So I woke up early and thought why don’t I make a 400 mile round trip up to Glasgow to go see the Reverend bass collection at Merchant City Music - I may have a problem - I’m selling most of my basses but keep seeing the buzz and Reverend - and had day free so hey. 

Anyway tried the Decision P which was ok - neck was alright but i can’t get over the extra offsetness of the bodies. Next I tried the Triad and it had 2 really really nice pickup options out of the 5 - the bridge pick up was thin but the neck and middle together was great. But the aesthetics are not for me. 

Whilst I was there, the staff were attentive but also let you get in with it. So I tried some more options- JMJ Mustang - yep good 👍 Nate Mendel P - awful set up and just wasn’t feeling it - FGN Jazz - didn’t note model about about £600 - very great playing neck - sounds good but not for me - then the Gold Foil Fender Jazz - WTF is going on with MIM Fender? The neck felt awful- £1300 to feel fret edges under binding - it just felt not worth it. Then at more than 6 times cheaper the SX P £200 - great neck - the pups had less output - but some good pickups and maybe bridge upgrade/ tuners could be a really useful back up. I stupidly didn’t have a go of the anniversary 4005 Ric- can’t afford it anyway. 

Had quick drive round the city then drive home £60 petrol and no bass bought but tempted to get an SX and upgrade it 

Beenlooking at these as well and Glasgow is just down the road from me! At least you got to try them out and see a bit of the city! A wee day out as they say! Don't know if it's your thing but I recently got hold of a Godin Shifter Classic bass. Made In Canada and pretty rare in this country it seems! I love mine and it has a massive sound and great tones.passive but you would not think so going by the output! Check the reviews online .By the way there is one for sale in Absolute Music and on their e bay page! Well worth it I love mine! Here is a picture of what it looks like!

Screenshot 2023-04-03 04.10.57.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theplumber said:

Beenlooking at these as well and Glasgow is just down the road from me! At least you got to try them out and see a bit of the city! A wee day out as they say! Don't know if it's your thing but I recently got hold of a Godin Shifter Classic bass. Made In Canada and pretty rare in this country it seems! I love mine and it has a massive sound and great tones.passive but you would not think so going by the output! Check the reviews online .By the way there is one for sale in Absolute Music and on their e bay page! Well worth it I love mine! Here is a picture of what it looks like!

Thanks for the tip - I’ve just bought a Fazley Outlaw Peacemaker in green which boasts an oiled body - rolled edge, roasted neck for £161! So mod platform inbound

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/electric-bass-guitars/fazley-outlaw-series-peacemaker-plus-red-electric-bass-guitar-with-gig-bag

Edited by Duroc17

5 hours ago, theplumber said:

What the necks like on these? The main thing for me is a nice neck - then sound - as I find you play better and that improves your sound if you feel “at one” with the bass 

Merchant City are great guys, and have a really great relationship with Reverend. I went to an evening with Ken Haas (Reverend head honcho) a couple of years ago which was really interesting. He also popped into the shop for a Tuesday afternoon hang-out a couple of weeks ago, and if I'd been working from the office that day, I'd have gone along - I have /thoughts/ about custom colours for the Wattplower mkII bass...

@theplumber- does the Shifter's neck have a bit of a V profile at the headstock end? My SD bass neck has it, and it's one of my favourites to play.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wingnutkj said:

Merchant City are great guys, and have a really great relationship with Reverend. I went to an evening with Ken Haas (Reverend head honcho) a couple of years ago which was really interesting. He also popped into the shop for a Tuesday afternoon hang-out a couple of weeks ago, and if I'd been working from the office that day, I'd have gone along - I have /thoughts/ about custom colours for the Wattplower mkII bass...

@theplumber- does the Shifter's neck have a bit of a V profile at the headstock end? My SD bass neck has it, and it's one of my favourites to play.

Not that sure...lol. Its thin bit like a jazz and flat a bit like my old Yamaha BB1100s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wingnutkj said:

I like Ken;s videos you can tell he's passionate about his company and i like that the tech's sign off each guitar - this is why i went on the road trip to have a go for myself

• 2 weeks later...

I might make the trip myself later in the year. Having just acquired a Justice recently, I’m absolutely stunned by it. Beautiful thing, superb quality and unbelievable tone. I have to say though, whoever had it before me made a balls of the setup, and I had to put a little shim in there too, but now, it’s an amazing bass, love it.

• Like 1