Why become a member? ×

NDBCD - New Dual Bass Case Day + Peach Guitars, Sort Of Review, Thing.

Frank Blank

I suppose this is a bit niche really but then BC should be a resource/reference for all things bass so...

I am extremely lucky to own two basses (with a third on the way) built by our very own highly talented bass luthier @Jabba_the_gut. He very kindly supplies his basses in Fender gigbags, which, whilst being perfectly adequate and well fitting, don't give you a feeling of real security. After all these are handbuilt, unique instruments (as well as being, imho, works of art) so they need looking after. I have a fretted and a fretless, both 32" scale and very peculiarly shaped. I thought it was about time to get them some decent cases. What I really needed to do was try several out. I am lucky enough to live an hours drive away from Peach Guitars, the perfect place because you can book an appointment, expressing your needs beforehand, and when you go over they are set up for you, not only that but they have a big range of cases, both guitar and bass, which was cool because I did wonder if the Jabba basses might fit in a guitar case...

So I called, explained my needs, and the assistant said, no need to book, just come along. I should explain that although the shop is 'open', since covid you have to either book an appointment or phone beforehand, you can't just arrive and look around, which is kind of odd but then I can see how it might suit some folks. I arrived, there's plenty of parking, rang the customer doorbell and in I went. It's a kind of cavernous space...

peach.jpeg.9cf3812a45e810334b2c235ea904a57e.jpeg

...that's done up with this faux wild west vibe, it's kind of odd and, I have to say, a little forlorn without the buzz of a least a few customers milling about, you know what it feels like when you go into a big church and you are the only person in there? Very odd. Anyway there are all sorts of rooms off this big space to try out stuff, I walked past a room that was dedicated to pedals and one with a wall of amps and I think a room dedicated to acoustics, mad.

Sorry, I'm waffling. So the chap had a few cases to try out, most of which were a bit weedy, but he did have a Reunion Blues RBX Double Electric Bass Gig Bag for me to try. The basses fitted, there was a little wriggle room between the top of the headstock and the top zip of the case, otherwise they were really extremely good, but not perfect. I don't suppose you have a Mono dual case? I asked, knowing they had a few showing as in stock. The assistant vanished into the equally cavernous catacombs of the warehouse. I kept looking at the basses sitting (almost) perfectly snuggly and wondered if, in fact the Reunion case might not, in fact, be the one. I zipped it up and threw it about a bit, the basses didn't appear to move. Satisfied I leaned against one of those columns you can see in the pic above, my shoulder bumped into something other than column, I looked around to see a lovely pink guitar falling off the column, thankfully I caught it and managed to hang it back up without anyone seeing. I looked at the price tag and felt the colour drain out of my face, phew.

The assistant returned, Try this he suggested. He handed me a Mono Classic Dual Acoustic/Electric Guitar Case, well, suffice to say this one was/is perfect...

Top.thumb.jpg.9b3fca0f1f88ea334359f87492b668df.jpg

Side.thumb.jpg.30e1ab516d1032a7f8cea34d99aa2280.jpg

1459396690_RearWhole.thumb.jpg.4e8fdc7e18687e0b0065dd7076609820.jpg

Front compartment with gratuitous shot of Jabba Fretted bass...

1749369424_FrontComp.thumb.jpg.edc43a0e5e2b095a38639e4f4b6d9c87.jpg

Rear compartment...

369447125_RearComp.thumb.jpg.6d1009ddb2c6a40fc799a93582680341.jpg

Front pouch

1798714729_BigFrontComp.thumb.jpg.79001816c6a055a653a8f89ad8de6568.jpg

Top front pouch

1885448259_TopPouch.thumb.jpg.22fbdf822cd711e0e755fd06c3a1efe2.jpg

...so, just in case you end up with two basses built by @Jabba_the_gut, or you just want a dual case that fits awkward 32" scale basses (I would imagine single Mono Electric or acoustic guitar gig bags should fit if this case fits 32"? Let's say almost certainly, don't hold me to it. Anyway, a great solution for two great basses from a great shop with great service. A big fat yay all round.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 6

I’ve only been to Peach once before, many, many years ago. I can only assume that they’ve moved to bigger premises since then, as that place looks massive and I remember it being far more intimate and bijou.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I’ve only been to Peach once before, many, many years ago. I can only assume that they’ve moved to bigger premises since then, as that place looks massive and I remember it being far more intimate and bijou.

They had a smaller shop in Colchester briefly but before that they had a small shop at the Braintree Craft Centre.

14 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

They had a smaller shop in Colchester briefly but before that they had a small shop at the Braintree Craft Centre.

‘Twas the Colchester store, IIRC. I bought a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 from them. Great pedal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I went to Peach guitars before Covid.  I was the only customer there at the time, though it was probably midweek.  Much better stock of basses than Andertons, Guitarguitar, or DV247 etc.

Ive just realised, no really, that I was in Peach and didn't look at any basses at all..! I'm an idiot.

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Ive just realised, no really, that I was in Peach and didn't look at any basses at all..! I'm an idiot.

There is a lot to stoke up the Gas on their walls but if you gas after stuff like Jabba basses and Nortstrand Acinonyxs, you would probably escape with your credit card intact. 

Enjoy the case, I might be acquiring one of them soon myself.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

There is a lot to stoke up the Gas on their walls but if you gas after stuff like Jabba basses and Nortstrand Acinonyxs, you would probably escape with your credit card intact. 

Enjoy the case, I might be acquiring one of them soon myself.

If you want to try before you buy just say the word.

• Thanks 1