Why become a member? ×

Sensitivity of Hartke HiDrive 112

Old Ozzie Guy

Hi all, I'm trying to find what the sensitivity (1w at 1mtr) may b for the above spker. I have a  basic bass rig. Consists of an Ampeg Micro VR hd with a Hartke HiDrive 112. (Hofner "cavern" bass). All of which I put together second hand over 3weeks from pawnshop, private sellers. Now that I have switched horn off , I'm quite happy with sound of HiDrive.., though Im looking at another ,for a bit of "headroom" (&..more is always better!!??) . I don't want to add a different box and have a volume difference, therefore my question regarding Sensitivity. Thanks all

1 hour ago, Old Ozzie Guy said:

Thanks for that, unfortunately the 112 is quite rare in Oz, actually unpopular here, I don't know why, it's a big sounding little thing, and the  4/8ohm select great idear!!   So,  next best thing would b HiDrive 2x10, same brand, series. At least they readily available..

Be aware that your cab is one of the first generation HyDrive HX112 with a cast frame neodymium magnet driver. The current HD112 driver uses a ceramic magnet so may not be a perfect match. The current HL112 uses a pressed steel neodymium magnet driver so could be closer to your HX112. 

Ok, thanks again S M. 

I was wondering difference between the HiDrive HD..HL.. all I could find online ,was usual "propaganda" , no actual specs, other than weight/ dimensions..

Back in D Good Old Days, ANY info sheet on gear ,pro or amateur ,had a "spec sheet"..

Any way thanks again, I have been using Hartke with horn off.. for what I like sooo much better, Can't get over bottom end that little cab can get, though I have bass 10 o'clock on amp ,and 30 htz pulled 12 db down 60 htz 6 db down on graffic, for sound I'm chasing. All best regards Mate

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Old Ozzie Guy said:

Ok, thanks again S M. 

I was wondering difference between the HiDrive HD..HL.. all I could find online ,was usual "propaganda" , no actual specs, other than weight/ dimensions..

Back in D Good Old Days, ANY info sheet on gear ,pro or amateur ,had a "spec sheet"..

Any way thanks again, I have been using Hartke with horn off.. for what I like sooo much better, Can't get over bottom end that little cab can get, though I have bass 10 o'clock on amp ,and 30 htz pulled 12 db down 60 htz 6 db down on graffic, for sound I'm chasing. All best regards Mate

The quality of construction of the first generation HX drivers is excellent. Cast baskets are more expensive to make than pressed steel which may be why Hartke has moved to steel for its current 12s. There's a lot of information online about the benefits of cast aluminium baskets over pressed steel. If you can find another HX112 cab you'll have a high performance lightweight rig. 

20230325_105409.thumb.jpg.df40199ee6294e4f5dc12eb8d8a31cfa.jpg

Cast aluminum baskets are used for two reasons. With heavy ceramic magnets it's to be stiff enough so that the frame doesn't flex. With neo magnets it's to act as a heat sink. Steel is OK with lighter weight ceramic magnets, and with lower power neo magnet drivers that don't require much heat sinking. Eminence uses steel for their 150w Basslite series, cast aluminum for the 250w and higher Delta Lite and Kappa Lite.

Where frame stiffness is concerned there are two requirements for very high sensitivity. One is a high flux magnet, the other is a tight magnetic gap. If the magnet weight causes the frame to flex it can cause voice coil rub with a tight gap. That was a problem with the 1968 Electro-Voice SRO 15, later re-badged as the first generation EVM. It had a cast aluminum frame, but with only four spokes, so it would flex under the weight of the 16 pound magnet structure. The second generation EVM cured that by going to an eight spoke frame. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Cast aluminum baskets are used for two reasons. With heavy ceramic magnets it's to be stiff enough so that the frame doesn't flex. With neo magnets it's to act as a heat sink. Steel is OK with lighter weight ceramic magnets, and with lower power neo magnet drivers that don't require much heat sinking. Eminence uses steel for their 150w Basslite series, cast aluminum for the 250w and higher Delta Lite and Kappa Lite.

Where frame stiffness is concerned there are two requirements for very high sensitivity. One is a high flux magnet, the other is a tight magnetic gap. If the magnet weight causes the frame to flex it can cause voice coil rub with a tight gap. That was a problem with the 1968 Electro-Voice SRO 15, later re-badged as the first generation EVM. It had a cast aluminum frame, but with only four spokes, so it would flex under the weight of the 16 pound magnet structure. The second generation EVM cured that by going to an eight spoke frame. 

Is the below another benefit?

"Aluminum does not conduct the magnetic field out of the gap thereby making the motor strength higher and the stray magnetic field lower."