Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The gear pleasure delaying thread

Paolo85

I thought I'd try this one and see if anybody is interested. This thread should be for people that, like me, failed the 2023 Gear Abstinence thread, or did not even try, but still want to commit to a period of abstinence. Or maybe, delaying their next purchase not for a set period of time, but until some objectives have been reached.

Like other basschatters who tried the Gear Abstinence game, I didn't even make it through February without buying a bass. Three weeks have passed and obviously, not being in it anymore, and after two months of abstinence, I have bought another bass, a pedal and a practice amp.
But now I miss the abstinence. In that thread I said I wouldn't buy gear before having done a few things including learning 30 songs and finishing an online course. Saying that publicly, even if in a forum where just a couple of people have seen me in person, had an unexpectedly positive effect. I was doing more learning, less noodling. More attention to how I play, less to whether bass X or string set Y come out better than bass Z and string set K, which objectively at my (extremely basic) level of playing does not matter.

So here I am again!
I am not going to buy any gear unless
-I have learnt 30 songs since the start of 2023, well for my level of playing
-I have finished a Talkingbass online course (chords for bass or walking bass)
-I have done a full fret dressing

For the purpose of this, I would also abstain from trying new types of strings!

• Like 1

I’ve bought a fair bit of gear this year but it’s all for guitar, got a role as lead guitarist first week of Jan and as I only had one guitar needed amp/backup guitar etc. Did the buy a batch & find out what works best do now got a bit to sell on. 

• Like 1

Right, so glad I did this post earlier today. I was just thinking recently that I really wanted the bass in the link just it was priced a bit higher than I wanted to pay. Now with the price reduction, I was literally about to buy the third bass in a  month, then I remembered.. :D

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/475623-2000-1-squier-affinity-precision-bass-and-rockbag-gig-bag-price-drop-£135-ono/

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2023 at 17:11, Paolo85 said:

So here I am again!
I am not going to buy any gear unless
-I have learnt 30 songs since the start of 2023, well for my level of playing

Which 30 songs? I need to start learning songs as a way to practice. Maybe we could combine into a  BC 2023 list?  I might manage 3, bit even that would be an improvement.

5 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Which 30 songs? I need to start learning songs as a way to practice. Maybe we could combine into a  BC 2023 list?  I might manage 3, bit even that would be an improvement.

First, let me say here as well for transparency that I failed miserably with the abstinence again, there is J neck coming my way and I am already looking into some sort of therapy for addictions!

I have a list of more like 70 songs for which I have gathered books/tabs/notation/youtube videos. The fact is that I decide "ok, I learn these songs next", and then I find myself learning another random one that is not on any list. I guess that's the way to go to keep it stimulating

So far, since January I have

-Learned or almost learned (but let me say that rendition could be excruciating, so I do not consider myself done)

Stand by me Ben E. KING
Cissy strut The Meters
Thank you Sly & tfs
Stop! Diana Ross & Supremes
She caught the Katy Blues Brothers
Le freak Chic
You're gonna need me Albert King
Trouble Jose James
Too young to die Jamiroquai
Walking on the moon Police

- "half learned"

Mean disposition Muddy Waters
Night train Oscar Peterson Trio (I may skip the solo)
A remark you made Weather Report (when I play on fretless though it's embarassing :D)

I am also working on Wherever I lay my hat and Barbary Coast but I consider the latter a "long term project" so to speak

...now, this is stuff that a pro may learn in a day - and unlike me, play it well - but I must admit I had never learned so much stuff in such a short time. That's why I swear by gear abstinence - associated with  if only I could actually do it and stick to it :D

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Maybe we could combine into a  BC 2023 list?  

As in, a list of songs BCers are learning? That could be a nice thread. I like thay stuff because once said publicly "I am learning this" I might feel more compelled to actually learn from start to finish!

7 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

It takes me ages to learn songs properly. I usually use crib notes in early rehearsals and wean myself off them by showtime, but it can take weeks. 😃

Glad to hear I am not the only slow one. I guess the difference is that if I showed on stage instead of you, after having "learnt" all the songs, people would still look at me and say "what the f are you playing?" :D

Edited by Paolo85
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

Glad to hear I am not the only slow one. I guess the difference is that if I showed on stage instead of you, after having "learnt" all the songs, people would still look at me and say "what the f are you playing?" 😁

My band mates sometimes say that to me! 🤣

• Haha 3

I am even worse. I play mainly in church,  where there aren't set bass lines, just chord charts. So I am reasonable at making stuff up to fit the chords and the mood, but I haven't learned the progressions and rely on a chart on the music stand. I ought to learn the progressions at least, though we also swap they keys around depending on the singers and the band.

Actually learning some pieces properly and by memory is a terrifying concept that I really ought to start doing. Somewhere I had the dots for the bass part and the end of Tubular Bells part one, that would be a good one for me.

• Like 1