Why become a member? ×

Anyone else use “classical” posture?

TeatroLirico

I play a short scale bass and I often find myself most comfortable, when playing higher up the fingerboard particularly, holding the bass between my legs in what I gather is a classical guitar posture.

Because I’m playing short scale, I don’t find it hinders my ability on lower frets too much.

Anyone else here play this way? I do see some professionals do the same - Hadrien Feraud comes to mind.

When I play higher up the fingerboard in a conventional position, I struggle getting my (small!) hand to be fluid enough, to the extent that I feel I’m just built a certain way.

Edited by TeatroLirico
Tweak to wording

I started using classical position relatively recently, to help combat my poor posture that was leading to back/knee pain -- it lets me keep my back straighter (when I'm mindful of it). For me it's actually closer to how my basses hang on a strap, as you say it's  definitely easier to play in the higher registers.

• Like 2

it is normal. we are playing a guitar, and guitarists have had much more time in history to find ways to play the instrument we tend to overlook because we want to legitimize the bass guitar as a singular one. of course it has its peculiarities, but we are more close than far from our 6 stringed older brother

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, velvetkevorkian said:

I started using classical position relatively recently, to help combat my poor posture that was leading to back/knee pain -- it lets me keep my back straighter (when I'm mindful of it). For me it's actually closer to how my basses hang on a strap, as you say it's  definitely easier to play in the higher registers.

I’m actually thinking that I ought to put the strap on and see how far or close my “rest on the left leg” posture is to standing. I only play and practice at home so I’m never stood up - however, I don’t want to get used to a position that’s alien for a live setting.

14 minutes ago, bassalbert said:

it is normal. we are playing a guitar, and guitarists have had much more time in history to find ways to play the instrument we tend to overlook because we want to legitimize the bass guitar as a singular one. of course it has its peculiarities, but we are more close than far from our 6 stringed older brother

I just see folks online saying that when they do try this alternative position, they find themselves in an uncomfortable twisting position, which makes me think that my experience is somewhat unique due to my size/make-up and the size of my short-scale bass.

2 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I play in the classical position, always have. I never really thought about it until fairly recently. I do have long arms though so have no problem with reach.

I think my main concern is learning “bad” technique.

I’m at a relatively early stage in establishing technique and I’ve retrained myself in other ways, such as using (one variant or another of) floating thumb.

But again, I think there’s an extent to which we’re all just built a bit different, so what works for one won’t for another.

17 minutes ago, TeatroLirico said:

I just see folks online saying that when they do try this alternative position, they find themselves in an uncomfortable twisting position, which makes me think that my experience is somewhat unique due to my size/make-up and the size of my short-scale bass.

IME this is probably because they've adjusted to the regular position without realising how much twist that introduces -- straightening it out back feels like twisting the opposite way, rather than being ~neutral. 

Not quite, but I do like having quite an angle to the neck as well as having the body shifted somewhat to my left, makes it easier for me to play at the upper end of the fretboard (that is closer to the bridge), and also puts my right plucking hand naturally closer to the position I want it to be.

As my main bass got a scale length of just 28.6" and a really light body, and since I always have it strapped with a rather broad strap that basically will have the bass stay in whatever position I put it in, I do tend to kind of shift its position a bit around depending on what i am playing.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash