Why become a member? ×

NBD Sire P5R natural

Duroc17

Got this today - I’ve been bass-curious about these since launch but was bit meh about colours. 

Anyways - I just noticed they’ve gone and put out my fave p combination- rosewood board, natural body with that neck. So instant trigger pull after an hour watching reviews. Now I see what the fuss is about. All necks should feel like this outta the box. Sweet and chunky but not baseball bat, smooth no sticky gloss 

pickups growl and seem pretty hot - need to check spec - body contour is sexy and bridge seems solid as are the heavy control knobs. Tuners are ok but probably wouldn’t swap them 

I wouldn’t say it’s a Fender killer - the Am Std I just sold was better but this reminds me if the 2018ish MIM FSR PB70 Reussue I had but with no sticky neck, better pups and half the price when you add £55 for la bellas to the £419 outlay

If you’re looking for a P back up - I’d recommend this. Not had out loud yet but it’s a great deal - it feels much more premium than it’s price 

274BC9EA-0690-4D3A-B444-BA28D4DB07F3.jpeg

9F29E0CF-6D88-4D2E-AFE3-B59758D4A866.jpeg

6DBAFAA9-72FF-47DB-AA72-69B9C50AD55C.jpeg

D1C12488-A52A-472E-AB5C-BD5D1D548E99.jpeg

ADB8E655-2EB8-4BB4-9A76-2E099BCE699F.jpeg

• Like 12

I’m looking at the 5 string version. My last P bass was an Am Pro, which was fantastic. I’m a Sire fan, so be keen to see how they stack up. The Sire is significantly less expensive, but my V5 was cheaper than the Sadowsky it was supposed to play second fiddle to as well…

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I've a P5 and love it. The mid range punch is brilliant, making it an excellent live tool.

Been sat playing mine all evening- just feels great - I keep looking for faults but just finding more tone - the mids are like a P on steroids 

• Like 1

On 01/03/2023 at 22:15, Duroc17 said:

Been sat playing mine all evening- just feels great - I keep looking for faults but just finding more tone - the mids are like a P on steroids 

Our rhythm guitarist uses mine to cover bass duties for Losing My Religion while I play mando and he is amazed by how nice it feels in the hands. A very tactile playing experience.  

It is a Fender killer in the sense that the P5 is around £400 (mine was £370 from Andertons because the box was damaged so could not be sold as 'new' despite the instrument being u marked) and the Player series starts at £759 and does not feel or sound any nicer, although the Player series just edges the Sire for finish although it's a close run thing. 

Even Squire Classic Vibes, of which I am a big fan and own two, don't quite match the Sire for feel or sound and theyre starting to creep well beyong £400 for many versions now. Sire have managed for find a sweet spot for price/sound/finish that seems difficult to match.

Edited by Bassfinger
Alien sex experiments
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bassfinger said:

Our rhythm guitarist uses mine to cover bass duties for Losing My Religion while I play mando and he is amazed by how nice it feels in the hands. A very tactile playing experience.  

Yes it’s how a bass should feel - I’m doing a low key gig tonight and am thinking of taking it instead of the Starfire to try it at a gig

• Like 1

My Geddy Lee was my main live plank, but the Sire has Immediately replaced it for live duty.  The feel, the non-stick neck and the mid range punch make it the best all round live bass I've played in a long time. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

Edited by Bassfinger
Embarassing typo

8 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

My Geddy Lee was my main live plank, but the Sire has Immediately replaced it for live duty.  The feel, the non-stick neck and the mid range punch make it the best all round live bass I've played in a long time. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

Feels like I’ve had this bass for a long time. Total keeper for the money - it’s quite dark sounding which I love - might try half-rounds on this instead of the la Bellas eventually 

• Like 2