Why become a member? ×

Help Me Choose A New Amp

SuperSeagull

As I mentioned on another thread, my MB CMD12P let me down during a gig last night. I'm sure it was an overheating issue as its fine this morning but last night, running loud at 4 ohms with an extension cab, tight against a wall and next to a thermonuclear radiator it cut out a couple of times before shutting down completely. It has served me well, its an Italian one I bought s/h 10 years ago (from Channel 4 news Krishnan Guru-Murthy as it happens). But I can't now trust it so will relegate it to a rehearsal space or maybe leave down at our church. But what to replace it with? I'm left with a MB NY121 cab so need a head and another cab or a single cab and head solution and sell the NY? I know about the new MB range but I'm wondering about TC or another class D brand. Or do I revert to old school and pick up a s/h Ashdown ABM. 

I know I need to get to a store and try some (GAK and Andertons are on the list) but would welcome thoughts on gear that is working well for you and which doesn't break the bank to buy either new or s/h. Cheers.

In my punk covers band the bassist uses a TC BH800 with two NY121 cabs and for gigs in a regular sized pub the amp is barely on, the set up has a really rich warm sound. So if you’re happy with your NY121 then that could be something to consider.

Also worth checking out the Fender Rumbles if looking at combos.

But my choice would be Ashdown, be it combos or head/cab.

Edited by Lozz196

54 minutes ago, chris_b said:

This is one situation where using a cab and head (and backup head) would have saved your gig.

Exactly what happened. I plugged my backup Elf into the NY121 and played on. Not enough headroom but it coped admirably and I doubt a single punter noticed. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

In my punk covers band the bassist uses a TC BH800 with two NY121 cabs and for gigs in a regular sized pub the amp is barely on, the set up has a really rich warm sound. So if you’re happy with your NY121 then that could be something to consider.

Also worth checking out the Fender Rumbles if looking at combos.

But my choice would be Ashdown, be it combos or head/cab.

Thanks. Was thinking about a bit of cabling adjustment to the combo to turn that into a cab only solution, plus the existing NY121 with a head on top. Will look at the TC amp. But just plugged an old Ashdown MAG head and my old ABM 110 combo - they still sound magnificent but heavy!

The best help we can give is to suggest you go to a few decent shops and try stuff. Everyone is different and what we like may not please you. If you like MB, it would be sensible to stick with them.

There may be nothing wrong with your existing amp. Many amps have a thermal cut out (my AG700 does, for example. Not sure about yours) and it could simply have been doing what it was supposed to do. The fact that it was fine the following day would support that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SuperSeagull said:

As I mentioned on another thread, my MB CMD12P let me down during a gig last night. I'm sure it was an overheating issue as its fine this morning but last night, running loud at 4 ohms with an extension cab, tight against a wall and next to a thermonuclear radiator it cut out a couple of times before shutting down completely. It has served me well, its an Italian one I bought s/h 10 years ago (from Channel 4 news Krishnan Guru-Murthy as it happens). But I can't now trust it so will relegate it to a rehearsal space or maybe leave down at our church. But what to replace it with? I'm left with a MB NY121 cab so need a head and another cab or a single cab and head solution and sell the NY? I know about the new MB range but I'm wondering about TC or another class D brand. Or do I revert to old school and pick up a s/h Ashdown ABM. 

I know I need to get to a store and try some (GAK and Andertons are on the list) but would welcome thoughts on gear that is working well for you and which doesn't break the bank to buy either new or s/h. Cheers.

I recently bought an Aguilar TH 500 and I'd go as far as to say that it's the best amp I've ever owned. I appreciate that they are pricey when new (I had some money when I bought it, for a change), but I think you can pick them up SH on here for around the £450-£500 mark, if you're looking to spend that?

I found that the EQ takes a bit of getting used to, along with the drive etc, but once you find it, it's an outstanding bit of kit. I pair it with a Barefaced Retro Two 10 and I think it's the only set up I'll ever need (he says!). Although I nearly pulled the trigger on an Ashdown MAG 810 that I saw for £100..... 

AB.

1 hour ago, AnalogBomb said:

I recently bought an Aguilar TH 500 and I'd go as far as to say that it's the best amp I've ever owned. I appreciate that they are pricey when new (I had some money when I bought it, for a change), but I think you can pick them up SH on here for around the £450-£500 mark, if you're looking to spend that?

I found that the EQ takes a bit of getting used to, along with the drive etc, but once you find it, it's an outstanding bit of kit. I pair it with a Barefaced Retro Two 10 and I think it's the only set up I'll ever need (he says!). Although I nearly pulled the trigger on an Ashdown MAG 810 that I saw for £100..... 

AB.

Sounds a great rig and BF just down the road from me, I should go see them. 

• Like 1

So I decided to get the new MB Little Mark 58R 500w head. Bass Direct have them their website but not in stock so promised to try and track one down. Meantime Gear4Music showed 2 in stock so I paid my money and they accepted my order. Today they reverted to me and said they didn’t actually have any in the UK but they could send one from Sweden if I paid the extra postage. I cancelled my order. On reflection decided to give the current combo a second chance as, if I think likely it just got too hot, there is no need to splash the cash (yet!). Then of course Bass Direct come back to me and say they could get me one………

On 28/02/2023 at 15:59, SuperSeagull said:

So I decided to get the new MB Little Mark 58R 500w head. Bass Direct have them their website but not in stock so promised to try and track one down. Meantime Gear4Music showed 2 in stock so I paid my money and they accepted my order. Today they reverted to me and said they didn’t actually have any in the UK but they could send one from Sweden if I paid the extra postage. I cancelled my order. On reflection decided to give the current combo a second chance as, if I think likely it just got too hot, there is no need to splash the cash (yet!). Then of course Bass Direct come back to me and say they could get me one………

Maybe slightly late to the party here, but have you checked the fan in you amp is still running? I had one that gave up which resulted in the amp getting very hot - new far cost about a tenner and took about as many minutes to fit. Zero problems since, if anything it pushes a little more air so runs cooler!

Edit to add that I also had a non-bass amplifier in which the fan was getting really noisy - opened up the case and it was a rubbish design that had got filled up with dust - a quick clean and it was back to getting a sufficient airflow and more normal fan speeds. I'd get your amp out of the cabinet, check the fan runs fine and maybe open it up and make sure there is nothing obvious going wrong inside. Even just getting it out of the cabinet and into ambient air may be enough to stop it overheating again! 

Edited by ukbassboy

6 hours ago, ukbassboy said:

Maybe slightly late to the party here, but have you checked the fan in you amp is still running? I had one that gave up which resulted in the amp getting very hot - new far cost about a tenner and took about as many minutes to fit. Zero problems since, if anything it pushes a little more air so runs cooler!

Edit to add that I also had a non-bass amplifier in which the fan was getting really noisy - opened up the case and it was a rubbish design that had got filled up with dust - a quick clean and it was back to getting a sufficient airflow and more normal fan speeds. I'd get your amp out of the cabinet, check the fan runs fine and maybe open it up and make sure there is nothing obvious going wrong inside. Even just getting it out of the cabinet and into ambient air may be enough to stop it overheating again! 

Very sensible suggestions. All ok on the fan front and a year or so ago I got rid of all the dust and assorted crud that had built up inside and around it. 

• Like 1