Why become a member? ×

One for the Level 42 fans , story of an Ashdown King combo

Chimike

I went to Glastonbury ( well, nearby ) to collect the Ashdown King combo I had just bought.

The Lady who was selling the BOX for her son, couldn't help me with loading into my car, so I did it on my own.

I'm still suffering back pain from that incident, despite being over 5 years ago.

I had great pleasure at the sound of the wood saw, as I got my revenge on the monster.

However, as I removed the Klystron Magnifier Amp head, I noticed the serial number,  00001.

Might have goofed here !

So, I devised a plan !

8 x 10's are a PIA at the best of times, so I settled on the idea of a 6 x 10. Having owned an Ashdown 6 x 10 cab

with celestion speakers before, I knew how good they can sound, and how much more convenient they are than the 8 x 10.

I removed all the horrible carpet covering , and the faux aluminium trim, had the cab cut down by my joiner friends, next door,

had it sprayed in black Truck liner 2 pack ( better than tuffcab ), fitted small wheels to the rear edge , and the necessary

towel rail, all to make movement easier. OK, so not Barefaced light, but HUGE improvement.

The King cab had no grill, just a panel on the front for transport, still debating that.

Then I repurposed the top I had cut off, to make a sleeve for the amp.

So, now I have a brilliant sounding amp and cab ( that, who knows, might have been used by the man himself ),

that is moveable by a mere mortal, and would make a great addition to a Mark King, or Level 42 Tribute band .

Pity I can't slap !

I'll get some pics up, when I can.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...