Why become a member? ×

Knackered Westbury

ash

This is interesting - it turned up on the FB Westbury group a week or so ago. It's someone's £10 (or thereabouts) car boot find, & appears to be a Track 4 which has been re-shaped for upper fret access, repainted & had a bodge defret. The reshaping's been nicely done to maintain the German carve, but the blue Dulux & hack defret are probably later. It also seems to have an additional microswitch, no idea why, should be v/t, selector & 2x series/parallel.

As a cheap car boot blag it'd be worth sorting out & getting re-fretted - the Track 4 was the top of the line Westbury bass and good condition examples go for decent money - but Ebay being Ebay it could get silly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

This is interesting - it turned up on the FB Westbury group a week or so ago. It's someone's £10 (or thereabouts) car boot find, & appears to be a Track 4 which has been re-shaped for upper fret access, repainted & had a bodge defret. The reshaping's been nicely done to maintain the German carve, but the blue Dulux & hack defret are probably later. It also seems to have an additional microswitch, no idea why, should be v/t, selector & 2x series/parallel.

As a cheap car boot blag it'd be worth sorting out & getting re-fretted - the Track 4 was the top of the line Westbury bass and good condition examples go for decent money - but Ebay being Ebay it could get silly.

I’ve always wanted to try one but when they come up they are either overpriced or trashed. There’s a single pick-up bolt on version (Track 2) on eBay at a reasonable price but it’s pick-up only. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, tauzero said:

Are you going to do a build diary thread on it?

I've so far stuck a load of pictures on Weatbury FB group page showing the paint coming off and what's underneath.

I'm in process of trying to get it looking like it's meant to (albeit that the bottom horn has be trimmed off a bit).

There was a big divot carved into the top under the paint for some reason. I'm having to fill that with wood filler and will try to "fudge" the wood grain through the dark translucent finish.

... If it ends up looking shite I'll prob paint it a sold colour.....

Edited by Adey

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Sold for £206...

Yes. That was pretty much my top bid on it.

It'll be a bit of fun doing it up.

The re-fret will be fine as I've done a fair few before. It isn't too difficult if you have the right tools.

I might start re-fretting this weekend if I get a chance. Sanded the fretboard to get most of the wear out of it last weekend and cleaned out all the fret slots.

Now I've seen the build diary thread I'll stick it in there when I get a chance.