Why become a member? ×

Aging new flat-wound strings

greentext

14 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

It was just to try it really, some of my flats are 20 or so years old and sound great, I wouldn’t say it’s taken them to that point but definitely takes the edge off 

Yh I feel you, very cool indeed, i'd love to try a set of 20 year old flats I think that would sound unreal, the set I have on my p bass are about 4 years old and have a lot of sweat and grime built in already so I can imagine 20 years sound thumby as alll hell haha

• Thanks 1

I have two sets of Chromes both nrly 20 yrs old yrs old.....beautifully dead with a biting mid range bark..but thats a long time to wait. best thing is to over stretch them a few tones tones....crank those tuners just short of breaking....that'll soon wreck them.

On 17/02/2024 at 17:31, Boodang said:

You’re right, it’s too weird for words. I just buy strings that sound the way I want in first place. There’s plenty of flats out there that don’t need deadening out the packet. If that’s what you want, try the Galli synthesis flats. 

Tell me where I can get flats that sound like TI Jazz Flats after a year or so of playing ;)

I'll save you time: you can't. That's just one example I have experience of. Sometimes people look for ways to accelerate the process and get to that sweet spot faster, makes sense to me. I just use them and eventually they'll get there, between the bass' tone controls and/or a bridge mute I get close 'enough for rock'n'roll', but I see why someone would just want to get there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/02/2024 at 22:01, Bassfinger said:

When I fit a new set I keep the played in set for just that purpose.

Same.

I once broke a G-string in a well used stainless steel roundwound set, and quickly installed a fresh G string. It wasn't a good sound. That's when I started saving a previously used set for this kind of situations.

• Like 1

What would be really weird would be consequently buying coated Elixir Nanoweb stainless steel rounds, only to artificially age them through various processes in order to make them sound dead. 

I personally love the sound of new rounds, and definitely don't like dead strings, but for those who do to me it makes perfect sense, and not odd at all, to age them artificially to get there.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mcnach said:

Tell me where I can get flats that sound like TI Jazz Flats after a year or so of playing ;)

I'll save you time: you can't. That's just one example I have experience of. Sometimes people look for ways to accelerate the process and get to that sweet spot faster, makes sense to me. I just use them and eventually they'll get there, between the bass' tone controls and/or a bridge mute I get close 'enough for rock'n'roll', but I see why someone would just want to get there.

I’ve got TI flats on a custom jazz, and Galli Synthesis strings on a standard jazz. Have you tried the Galli strings? Because TI’s after a year of playing is how I would describe them. They have a nylon core which I think gives them a slightly duller tone. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Boodang said:

I’ve got TI flats on a custom jazz, and Galli Synthesis strings on a standard jazz. Have you tried the Galli strings? Because TI’s after a year of playing is how I would describe them. They have a nylon core which I think gives them a slightly duller tone. 

No, I've never tried them. I'll keep that in mind, your description sounds very appealing thank you 🙂

48 minutes ago, mcnach said:

No, I've never tried them. I'll keep that in mind, your description sounds very appealing thank you 🙂

I came across the Galli strings as I was looking for something that not necessarily sounded like a DB but felt like my DB strings. I use synthetic core strings on my DBs and there’s a fair choice available but for BG it was all steel core, so I didn’t hold up much hope. Until I found the Synthesis strings. I believe, and don’t quote me, they are the only nylon core BG strings on the market. So the best way I can describe the feel is ‘buttery’, very much like my DB. I got mine from Bass Direct, they’re not the cheapest strings but like most flats it’s not like I’m going to change them very often. 
Word of warning… the strings seem very robust when on the bass and under tension (they’ve stood up to live use, even when a guest tried to slap with them!) but they are v delicate out the packet and while you’re putting them on. They do warn you about this but be careful. 

I give them a good amount of Slap/Pop and general rough treatment and tune sharp then flat to stretch/un-stretch, that all seems to speed up the dulling, and I never clean them.......although all of that is perhaps a bit pointless as just rolling off the tone control seems to do most of that, especially played at volume through Amp/Cab and with some EQ. As it's easier to remove brightness through EQ than to add it perhaps it's best to keep strings bright?

Or use Tapewounds. 

Edited by SumOne

35 minutes ago, Boodang said:

I came across the Galli strings as I was looking for something that not necessarily sounded like a DB but felt like my DB strings. I use synthetic core strings on my DBs and there’s a fair choice available but for BG it was all steel core, so I didn’t hold up much hope. Until I found the Synthesis strings. I believe, and don’t quote me, they are the only nylon core BG strings on the market. So the best way I can describe the feel is ‘buttery’, very much like my DB. I got mine from Bass Direct, they’re not the cheapest strings but like most flats it’s not like I’m going to change them very often. 
Word of warning… the strings seem very robust when on the bass and under tension (they’ve stood up to live use, even when a guest tried to slap with them!) but they are v delicate out the packet and while you’re putting them on. They do warn you about this but be careful. 

What's the tension like on the Galli Synthesis? I like Ti Flats and EB 40-95. Not a fan of anything higher tension than the EBs.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

What's the tension like on the Galli Synthesis? I like Ti Flats and EB 40-95. Not a fan of anything higher tension than the EBs.

I think due to the synthetic core, they have the least tension feel of any BG string I’ve tried. I wouldn’t say they’re like rubber bands but you get the idea. 
PS A friend of mine put some Steve Harris flats on his bass and we’re like rods… unplayable!

I keep a nothing special instrument in the house to practice on and use it to break in new strings. As I do much of my practice unamplified, the clang and zing doesn't matter much. When they get nicely worn in, they are ready to go on one of my gigging instruments.

10 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I keep a nothing special instrument in the house to practice on and use it to break in new strings. As I do much of my practice unamplified, the clang and zing doesn't matter much. When they get nicely worn in, they are ready to go on one of my gigging instruments.

Can't lie that is low key a really good idea haha, I do most of my playing unamplified as well might consider this as an option