Why become a member? ×

Help me out - who should I listen to??

Wellsyboy

Some good suggestions on here. I'd say avoid anybody soloing away and showing what can be done rather than what should be done. It's just not useful at this stage. 

I'd also say treat yourself to  Donald Fagens ' the nightfly '. The cream of US session bassists all at the top of their game enhancing -but supporting - the song.

Lastly - learn by copying , sure , but learn enough to be able to stop copying. You've been a player for a long time so you probably understand that 

Edited by Dr.Dave
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr.Dave said:

Some good suggestions on here. I'd say avoid anybody soloing away and showing what can be done rather than what should be done. It's just not useful at this stage. 

I'd also say treat yourself to  Donald Fagens ' the nightfly '. The cream of US session bassists all at the top of their game enhancing -but supporting - the song.

Lastly - learn by copying , sure , but learn enough to be able to stop copying. You've been a player for a long time so you probably understand that 

Ooo.. nice tip - didn't think of him - Steely Dan also then I guess!!!

• Like 1

I agree with @Dad3353.  That book is very good. 

However, I also think that listening to and learning from bassists you like, is very beneficial.

My two recommendations :

Good old Macca, especially on the Abbey Road album.

Another bassist who I was very impressed with is the late great Glenn Cornick in the early Jethro Tull albums. He is not often mentioned but is very under rated in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

:crigon_04:

With regard to what to listen to, I agree totally with @Beedster. When I started playing, I suddenly realised that my record collection had effectively doubled in size, as I was listening to it differently.

On 01/02/2023 at 10:36, Beedster said:

Welcome @Wellsyboy, I'd recommend that you simply listen to the music you like and pay attention to the bass parts. The likes of Jaco, genius though he was, are not a great starting point for a study of bass, there's are some amazing bass parts hidden in some otherwise quite ordinary songs. Good luck 👍 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

:crigon_04:

With regard to what to listen to, I agree totally with @Beedster. When I started playing, I suddenly realised that my record collection had effectively doubled in size, as I was listening to it differently.

Nice! - like it! I think Stax may be my first stop on the journey!