Why become a member? ×

Rick Rubin calls Paul McCartney the number one bassist of all time

lidl e

12 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Do You even know what is ''Tribal tech''?

Now don't take this as a commentary of the quality of Tribal Tech, but i just put it on and my cat ran out of the room.

I know them. i kknow the lads more individually as players from reading guitar magazines back in the day. Not my taste at all. Obviously they are all amazing, but i am not a fan of what they produce. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nilorius said:

That's imposible, because i don't have my own radio station.

i would say to be the number one jazz fusion band in latvia, you only need like a handful of fans. 

Half as many as ireland surely.

1 minute ago, lidl e said:

Now don't take this as a commentary of the quality of Tribal Tech, but i just put it on and my cat ran out of the room.

I know them. i kknow the lads more individually as players from reading guitar magazines back in the day. Not my taste at all. Obviously they are all amazing, but i am not a fan of what they produce. 

Well, then don't write that Gary Willis is just a ramp fanatic.

• Like 1

There's just no point in trying to claim any single player is "the best", too many variations, best at what? Jazz? Soloing? Spitting blood while wearing ridiculous boots? I think uniqueness of voice is the most important element, and that is just behind serving the needs of the song, which McCartney always seemed to do very well, as did Entwistle, as does Geddy Lee, depends entirely on context.

No-one gallops like Steve Harris, no-one hit 16s like Pastorious (maybe that odd bloke in Vulfpeck), no-one one is as versatile and creative as Tony Levin, no-one is a dependable as Carol Kaye and no-one, but no-one held it down like Cliff Williams... Who's best? No way of telling.

I don't like the Beatles, I have no time for McCartney's solo work, but he's a phenomenal songwriter and bassist.

This isn't Pokemon, there can be more than one.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, nilorius said:

Well, then don't write that Gary Willis is just a ramp fanatic.

i was just giving you a hard time. but i will always think of GW as an Ibanez signature artist and for that I respect the man.

3 minutes ago, WinterMute said:

There's just no point in trying to claim any single player is "the best", too many variations, best at what? Jazz? Soloing? Spitting blood while wearing ridiculous boots? I think uniqueness of voice is the most important element, and that is just behind serving the needs of the song, which McCartney always seemed to do very well, as did Entwistle, as does Geddy Lee, depends entirely on context.

No-one gallops like Steve Harris, no-one hit 16s like Pastorious (maybe that odd bloke in Vulfpeck), no-one one is as versatile and creative as Tony Levin, no-one is a dependable as Carol Kaye and no-one, but no-one held it down like Cliff Williams... Who's best? No way of telling.

I don't like the Beatles, I have no time for McCartney's solo work, but he's a phenomenal songwriter and bassist.

This isn't Pokemon, there can be more than one.

I like tony levin better than gary willis

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mario_buoninfante said:

Can open, worms everywhere.

I notice that the picture of Carol Kaye had her playing a guitar, well done Rolling Stone, good to see you've got your eye on the ball :facepalm:

• Haha 2