Why become a member? ×

Hello Basschat! New member here....

Wellsyboy

Just a quick introduction. I'm Steve. Older bugger (63 now) - guitar player for 50 years (small pub and private functions band) recently took to playing the bass and really enjoying it. Looking for tips and conversation around progressing skills etc etc. Just invested in a Yamaha BB34P after realising my old Korean squire P Bass wasn't up to the job. Surprised to find that playing the bass is actually helping my hands. I have an inflammatory arthritis which affects my hands but seems to be under control at the moment. Was getting stiffness and pain in the morning after doing day to day jobs but playing the bass seems to be reducing this significantly. Looking forward to interacting on here - I am a long time member of the Fretboard guitar forum. Love all types of music but mainly interested in Blues, classic rock etc. However, I have always been fascinated by the rhythm side of things and wondered if I should have been a bass player of a drummer! My interests widen where bass is concerned particularly like good grooves so funk stuff and anything dancey grab my attention and I often find myself following the bass player rather than the guitarist. Would welcome any suggestions of players to listen to. I'm not sure I am that interested in the experimental jazz stuff and when bass players get a bit too clever with the soloing they lose me a bit but I am happy to put the effort in to learn. 

• Like 1

Hi Steve - I'm also a reformed guitarist. Same as you, on reflection I think I should have been a bassist from the beginning as rhythm and locking with the drums has always been my thing. Started off listening to Chris Squire and my best mate in school was the drummer in my first couple of bands. I was never naturally gifted on guitar and I drifted into bass when recording my own songs. Meanwhile, in bands there was always someone better on guitar than me and eventually I got the message. 😃

• Like 1

On 28/01/2023 at 14:36, Franticsmurf said:

Hi Steve - I'm also a reformed guitarist. Same as you, on reflection I think I should have been a bassist from the beginning as rhythm and locking with the drums has always been my thing. Started off listening to Chris Squire and my best mate in school was the drummer in my first couple of bands. I was never naturally gifted on guitar and I drifted into bass when recording my own songs. Meanwhile, in bands there was always someone better on guitar than me and eventually I got the message. 😃

Wouldn't go as far as to say I'm reformed - still love my guitars but starting to realise I missed out on something all these years not trying it - going to make up for it now!!!

• Like 2