Why become a member? ×

Karaoke version

DTB

Thought I’d share my use of the Karaoke Version website for practice tracks with the bass removed. 
I’ve used this site from the beginning I think about the early 2000’s. 
Back then a lot of the tracks were obviously home keyboard quality and some were not very good, but now the quality is excellent and if you were in a duo or live solo guitarist they are of gigable standard. 
I no longer gig, but having realised after a long period of depression that playing at home for one’s own pleasure is much better than not playing at all, and use tracks from this site with the bass removed, and have also used them without vocals for playing my sax to. 
I have nothing to do with the website in a business capacity and I’m only plugging it here as others my find it useful. 
I’m sure others will have better ways of doing backing tracks, but for me this is easy and simple, if a little expensive sometimes when buying a lot of tracks in one go. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

+1 for karaoke version. The ability to buy once and download as many mixes as you like for no additional cost is a real bonus. When I'm learning songs I want to sing and play bass on, I download four versions - drum track with count-in, everything except the bass, everything except the vox, and everything except bass and vox. Being able to vary the mix is another really good feature.

• Like 1

I don’t think one guy does all the tracks. 
There is a way to submit backing tracks if you are into making them. 
I used to do my own but I only did bass and drums as I did the vocals and guitar live for a trio sound, like Cream. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DTB said:

I don’t think one guy does all the tracks. 
There is a way to submit backing tracks if you are into making them. 
I used to do my own but I only did bass and drums as I did the vocals and guitar live for a trio sound, like Cream. 

Well, in a big trading center where i am working, i am pretty shure the one guy does it all, just he chooses the different vocals.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update on this subject. 
I found an app that can split a track into its individual instrument tracks. However my MacBook pro is so old it didn’t meet the minimum hardware requirements to run it, so I carried on searching and I found Lalal.ai which is a similar thing but the crunching of the file is done at a server so it isn’t dependent on hardware being up to date. 
So far I’ve removed the bass on two tracks and it works very well, not perfectly but very well. 
I am only posting this today because they have a half price sale and it’s £25 for 360 minutes of tracks. 
The split tracks are sent via email and are straight forward to download and use. They are not zipped or compressed in any way and the quality is the same as the original track you upload to the server for processing. 
Someone may find this useful. 

• Like 1

It was the sale that prompted me. I think it works out at roughly 90 tracks which will probably never get used up, there’s no time limit on using up the track time. 
works out about 30 pence per song. 
It’s also incredibly simple to use even i can do it right first time 

Apologies - nothing useful to say that hasn't already been said except that Karaoke Version has been a lifesaver for me. I didn't enjoy being in a band and KV has enabled me to play at home whenever I like without lugging equipment around or deferring to anyone else's setlist.

I think the versions are terrific. Often the vocals sound as good as the original. KV are good at finding matching singers and in some cases better (I personally have never liked Brian Johnson's voice - the AC/DC tracks have somebody who sounds as gruff but clearer). Also, in my own head I'm back in a covers band so it's OK if the vocals aren't the original's. Since I'm now in my late 60s and becoming immobile, KV has enabled me to carry on playing.

Also, once you've 'bought' a track you can go back and download different versions for free. And they often add a better version of an existing track and email you so you can download that for free too. They are forever adding new tracks and have on there tracks that I thought only I liked.

Edited by Kitsto

24 minutes ago, Kitsto said:

I think the versions are terrific. Often the vocals sound as good as the original.
Also, in my own head I'm back in a covers band so it's OK if the vocals aren't the original's. Since I'm now in my late 60s and becoming immobile, KV has enabled me to carry on playing.

Also, once you've 'bought' a track you can go back and download different versions for free. And they often add a better version of an existing track and email you so you can download that for free too. They are forever adding new tracks and have on there tracks that I thought only I liked.

This exactly the same for me. Thanks for posting. I’m 53 and in a wheelchair due to arthritis and KV keeping me playing and protecting my sanity lol. 
I love music so much. 

I've used Karaoke Version quite a bit, but recently I'm finding this Moises app quite useful. It does a good job at separating tracks from just about any source. I tried it using a rehearsal recording made on a little Zoom H2 (stereo ambient mics) to mute my bass and play alternative basslines, for example. It's a subscription thing, but you can export the separate tracks as audio tracks which you can then use with any DAW, so you could technically subscribe for one month and get a whole lot done in that period for less than what a pint costs.

It allows you to change key, but when exporting tracks it seems to only export the original key, which is a bit of a bummer, but I use Riffstation (free) to change keys and save audio so that gets around the issue.

https://moises.ai/products/moises-webapp/

• Thanks 1