Why become a member? ×

New Drummer Day

Phil Starr

We have a new drummer. Oh the joy of a drummer who can really play, something I've tasted only briefly at open mics and with one band which didn't last for other reasons but this is our drummer. After one rehearsal and one gig we went into the recording studio which we'd booked to record with our previous drummer. We're only a pop covers band but song one we did two takes 3.14 and 3.15. Song 2 2.46 and 2.46. third song 3.34 and 3.33, song 4 3.22, 3.23 and 3.23. My god playing bass is easy even though I'm going to have to up my game it's going to be such a joy. Not just perfect timing either.

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 2

You’re only as good as your drummer. Maybe a tired old phrase but true. I’ve been very fortunate and somewhat spoiled (mostly) and have had the privilege of playing with some excellent drummers and a couple world class players.  I’m not a snob about who I play with but I’ve never lasted long in a band with an average drummer. Not that I’m good but a good drummer makes you up your game (as you said). It’s healthy. I find myself becoming really complacent if the drummer isn’t much good. A so so drummer and a complacent bass player doesn’t sound like a good combination 😂

Fella who we’re with now played a 4min track recently without a click. Dragged the recording into Logic, played some keys, cut and pasted them throughout the song and they only went very slightly out of sync at the last 30 seconds! He’s a metronome! 

• Like 2

I'm a very average bass player. Funnily enough I came to playing from cricket where I'm a very average bowler. First change bowler, medium pace and naggingly accurate, good enough for village cricket, which pretty much sums up my bass playing :). Holding down an end in village cricket meant the team usually won and I figured holding down the rhythm and chord changes would work for a band. So far so good :) 

There aren't many really good drummers in the pub band equivalent of village cricket but our band gets regular gigs and we are a happy team. I'm in heaven now, no better reason to up my game, I wonder what the effect will be on the rest of the band.

How weird - we auditioned our new drummer last night.  A Mancunian who loved us, and we got on with him a treat, and he's a good tubbs man

He's in !  Now we're a Scouser, a Manc,  and 3 soft southern barstewards

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1