Why become a member? ×

Need a bit more…. Oomph

Steve_nottm

On 21/01/2023 at 15:09, fretmeister said:

yup.

I wear foam ear plugs so I’m very used to setting the sound and then putting up with the “tone” I hear through the plugs.

Have you considered something like ACS Pro 17s? They aren't cheap, but attenuate relatively flat across the frequency range (especially compared to foamies!) so will still give you a sense of your tone. They are also reusable - I don't use mine that much these days as I have Custom IEMs, but mine (old ER15s but basically the same thing, just earlier model) are 15 years old and still going strong! 

8 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

How so?

To me they are synonymous so very interested in a diametrically opposite interpretation.

I don't think anyone claimed them to be diametrically opposite, they are related, but there is a reason that there are several words that means only slightly different things, it's in the semantic nuances.

Synonymous words while similar semantically are often not entirely identical so while two synonyms will share a majority of annotations and connotations, some would be differently weighted as well as some would still be completely unique to either respectively. 

"Oomph" for instance would suggest "punch" to a much higher degree than "heft" necessarily would.

"Oomph" to a higher degree suggests "impact", where "heft" to a higher degree suggests "weight/mass", they are of course that way very closely related, I suppose you could say two aspects of the same phenomena, but with main focus on two different aspects of that same phenomena, and while it is actually possible to imagine contexts where you would have one without the other. 

While this might seem like nitpicking what it really is is just addressing the importance of clear communication as most people are in fact not mind readers. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 05/02/2023 at 18:10, ukbassboy said:

Have you considered something like ACS Pro 17s? They aren't cheap, but attenuate relatively flat across the frequency range (especially compared to foamies!) so will still give you a sense of your tone. They are also reusable - I don't use mine that much these days as I have Custom IEMs, but mine (old ER15s but basically the same thing, just earlier model) are 15 years old and still going strong! 

I’m going to get a set and try them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Soot.  “Oomph” wasn’t specific but I mean that feel through the floor, the size of the sound.  I don’t struggle for volume or mids or cutting through, but I can sometimes feel like I’m loud enough but I don’t feel the bass, just hear it

very good points about location in the room though

For me...

Oomph... push 'n go... breathing out 

Heft... the after effects of a stop - damping control, just before breathing in....

Like a nicely tuned exhaust system,

air box induction heft... Oomph fuel air mix

'Zorst pipe... Speaker Size... 10" min...

Thats what i really like about my Marshall MB30, a 10" cone... a lot of other 30ish use an 8"