Why become a member? ×

At open mic night last night

Geek99

One very boring acoustic guitarist with a wealth of sexist and self-aggrandising banter …. But followed by surprises

a very Downs guy who did a really good Mozart piece on violin

a ukrainian refugee who did her own very lovely song in Ukrainian and also a song in English 

talked to one of the organisers who noted my bass and said “bass players are rare round here, sought-after”. Smart guy … for a guitarist anyway 😛

I didn’t play as it wasn’t a jam night and the guy I expected to see from another OM wasn’t there. Boring guy from para 1 came over to push his way in and talk basses whilst I talking to the nice Ukrainian lady and her husband. 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 3

The thing about open mics is Forrest Gump might well show up before Donald Trump.

As the bass player you have to be prepared to sit one out as necessary.

With a bit of experience it can be quite a wild ride accompanying trusting singer songwriters sounding like you had rehearsed for a week. Then come the 'man what are you doing here' comments.

Some guitar players telegraph their chord changes. Some don't.

I didn’t play - I’d never been to that one before and was hoping to meet up with the regular host who’d given me some homework when I saw him at another OM In Loughborough (George)

perhaps I’ll be house band next time as I did tell last night’s host (Mitch, OM near coalvile) that usually I’m acceptably good at winging things in general so probably bass too

Only about 25 people there 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1