Why become a member? ×

Cheap Fretless - Recommendations or what ya got

PaulThePlug

This is going to create mixed reactions but my advice is to get him an unlined fretless if he's young and starting out. In the long run it will teach him better technique, better ear and more creativity. Others will say otherwise but my personal opinion, as a fretless bassist, as he is young and starting out, this would be my advice. Of course there is nothing wrong with choosing a lined fretless and there are more choices available from Squire, Cort and Ibanez so the choice is yours. The Squire Vintage Jazz lined fretless is an excellent starting bass.

• Like 2

The HB B45FL is decent. There may well be better or equivalent ones for more money or around that price point, but I don't think you can go wrong with it for the price. 

I would also go along with the unlined because the only visual clue that is important are the side dots rather than craning his neck over the fretboard. If anything, my lined fretless requires extra and unnecessary mental processing when I look down at the side dots because I then have to do some spatial calculations to work out where the actual fret should be, whereas on the unlined this isn't the case. The only practical advantage(IMO) of the lined is that there is far more choice, so if he wants to go the 5 string route the lined may be the better option.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

The HB B45FL is decent. There may well be better or equivalent ones for more money or around that price point, but I don't think you can go wrong with it for the price. 

I would also go along with the unlined because the only visual clue that is important are the side dots rather than craning his neck over the fretboard. If anything, my lined fretless requires extra and unnecessary mental processing when I look down at the side dots because I then have to do some spatial calculations to work out where the actual fret should be, whereas on the unlined this isn't the case. The only practical advantage(IMO) of the lined is that there is far more choice, so if he wants to go the 5 string route the lined may be the better option.

I totally agree with this, if I play lined, I have to think about it, I have to aim for the lines like a target so you're always processing and conscious of aiming for the right spot, where as unlined you use your ear and rely on technique. Unlined for me is so much easier and a natural process.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 3

Harley Benton Beatbass FL VS Vintage Series

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_beatbass_fl_vs_vintage_series.htm

It sounds amazing, even when just DI'ed, all dry with nothing addtionally done to the signal, like the first half of this video:

And the fretboard is Amaranth (Purpleheart), which is actually almost as hard as Ebony, and very very close to being just as stiff too.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 2 weeks later...