Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror Question

fretmeister

4 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Just for sheer curiosity what difference would a notched volume control make? :)

It really depends on the gap between the notches.

I had a notched volume on my Ashdown RM800Evo2 and the gap was massive. Only 1 notch between too quiet and deafening so then I'd have to use the Input control as the volume, but that lowers drive levels. I sent it into Dave Green at Ashdown to replace the pot with a smooth one (which he did for free - what a star!).

I had seen some comments about the Orange Little Bass Thing having the same issue - Too quiet and then Too Loud in 1 notch.

I didn't know if the Terror Bass had the same system or had a good old standard smooth control.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I had a notched volume on my Ashdown RM800Evo2 and the gap was massive. Only 1 notch between too quiet and deafening so then I'd have to use the Input control as the volume, but that lowers drive levels. I sent it into Dave Green at Ashdown to replace the pot with a smooth one (which he did for free - what a star!).

I had seen some comments about the Orange Little Bass Thing having the same issue - Too quiet and then Too Loud in 1 notch.

I didn't know if the Terror Bass had the same system or had a good old standard smooth control.

Can't speak for the OBT but briefly had both the RM800 and LBT and agree they have similar issues with volume between the first few notches being too great (for my use at home). I never thought about changing the pots!

On 06/01/2023 at 22:07, Happypants said:

Can't speak for the OBT but briefly had both the RM800 and LBT and agree they have similar issues with volume between the first few notches being too great (for my use at home). I never thought about changing the pots!

The LBT can be overcome by using the compressor less or more as this boosts the output level too as you increase it 

I tried the Terror MK2 and found it too dark sounding 

10 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

The LBT can be overcome by using the compressor less or more as this boosts the output level too as you increase it 

I tried the Terror MK2 and found it too dark sounding 

I'm not convinced anything should need to be 'overcome' when a better pot choice at the design stage would have never caused the problem in the first place.