Why become a member? ×

I've joined the dark side......help needed please.

spyder

That would certainly work, but that's a helluva lot of money to spend on what is essentially a PA cab.

I like to have the power amp at waist height and just a passive cab to raise onto a pole. I'm very weight conscious. And bad back conscious.

Given that you've chosen a 5-string DB you'll want to ensure that whatever cab you buy goes low enough, and that Stinger only goes down to 70Hz which ain't great for a bass cab.

You can buy decent pre-owned power amps really quite cheaply, and there's no shortage of preowned cabs (bass or PA) that will go down to 40Hz.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

That would certainly work, but that's a helluva lot of money to spend on what is essentially a PA cab.

I like to have the power amp at waist height and just a passive cab to raise onto a pole. I'm very weight conscious. And bad back conscious.

Given that you've chosen a 5-string DB you'll want to ensure that whatever cab you buy goes low enough, and that Stinger only goes down to 70Hz which ain't great for a bass cab.

You can buy decent pre-owned power amps really quite cheaply, and there's no shortage of preowned cabs (bass or PA) that will go down to 40Hz.

Agreed. We bought some incredible PA cabs on BC for very little cash.

• Thanks 1

Two rehearsals in and I'm gaining confidence with the beast. Daily finger experiences and stretching has really helped loosen up the joints and muscles. I've settled on two amplifier rigs. 

For small gigs and rehearsals ( the country band does play very quietly ) I use a headrush 108 and for bigger gigs, if required, the GK neo 112 800w combo.

The bass came with a K&K bass max which does give a very electrified acoustic bass sound, it's not bad but it does lose that double bass acoustic vibe.

I've just received today two new toys that will be used at tonights rehearsal. A Headway Band and a Prodipe BL21 mic.

Both will be blended into my Headway preamp.

Has anyone had experiences of these two?

A quick home practice this afternoon has revealed they work really well together blended on the Headway pre giving a very acoustic true double bass sound.

Thanks.

DSC_0003.JPG

Edited by spyder

K&K Bass Max - had mine for years/decades.  It sounds ok on its own, but I find it improves once in the band mix.  Really easy to work with live - I never have a bad sound or any issues.

Headway Band - just send it back... I found it useless.

Mounted mic - I haven't used that particular one, but I've owned similar, and currently the band put a DPA on me in theatres but don't bother at weddings (too loud).  I found best results is to send to the mixing desk but don't route it through your stage amp/monitor - unless you are all quiet enough that you can do so without feedback, in which case great.

What are those strings - lower steel, upper synthetic?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spyder said:

Strings are rotosound RS4000 with a B of unknown make. 

Thank you for the info above. Why did you send back The Band? It works great with my bass.

Thanks.  I currently play a mixed set of Spirocore and Gut-a-Like (which sound good but aren't a perfect match tension-wise) but they might need replacing at some point, so I will look into the Rotosounds as they sound interesting.

The Band gave inconsistent results with my bass - sometimes even during when it was in use...!  And at its best, it seemed to give no improvement in tone compared to my Bass Max.  But great to hear that it's working out for you.  There are lots of different pickup systems and strings, and although I'm pretty happy with what I've ended up with, still I'd love to experiment more (need more time and money though).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassace said:

We obviously need another DB Bash. But where?

The last one in 2018 was a great day and took me farther down the DB path, three basses and some lessons later it was definitely a turning point for me. If there is one this year I might have to make another trip across the Atlantic and reconnect with some of the folks I met at Bicester and see and hear some more basses and enjoy another little sightseeing tour in England. 😊🇨🇦

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 1