Why become a member? ×

Recommendation for lightweight amp/cab/combo for carrying on buses/trains?

Oomo

2 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

There are tricks you can use to squeeze extra volume out though. Filter the deepest bass with an HPF, https://www.talkbass.com/wiki/high-pass-and-low-pass-filters/, use a compressor/limiter to protect the speaker against any peaks or just turn down the bass on the eq.

Always a good idea I think - I've definitely noticed a difference doing that even on the PBJ I use. My basic signal chain is tuner->Empress compressor->preamp->Broughton HPF/LPF, and pretty happy with it overall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

I think you have found the two best options. GR are new to the block so not many people will have tried them. There are lots of people here who have used the Barefaced 110 so much more personal experience. They do sound good and they regularly comne up for sale here used so you could pick up one for less money. I've listened to one of the GR 2x12's and they are remarkably light and they do sound good. The only downside is that the case material is brittle and there are some reports of them getting damaged easily, that may be an issue on public transport and you'd probably want a properly padded bag for it as a minimum.

In the end these are both great and will do a job for you but you can only get so far with a single 10" driver. Any single 10 is going to struggle if your drummer turns out to be a loud one but these will be as good as it gets and better than your PJB. There are tricks you can use to squeeze extra volume out though. Filter the deepest bass with an HPF, https://www.talkbass.com/wiki/high-pass-and-low-pass-filters/, use a compressor/limiter to protect the speaker against any peaks or just turn down the bass on the eq. It's worth knowing that the TC BAM, Warwick Gnome and TE Elf pocket amps all have some HPF built in.

I'm amazed you didn't get more suggestions for the Barefaced to be honest. Alex Claber used to be a regular Bass Chatter and has a lot of fans here. His cabs are about as light as a wooden cab can be and he uses quality drivers in his cabs. The only other suggestion I can make is that LFSys are about to bring out a 110, I doubt it will be as lightweight as the other two but it will be a one handed carry and will sound exceptional. They are only in prototype at the moment but it might be worth sending a pm to @stevie

As I said in an earlier post, putting a Thumpinator HP filter in my signal chain made a very noticable improvement to my little Fender Rumble 100. Makes a big, big difference on a smaller single cab combo when the power is focussed on delivering the frequencies you want, and not being drained by inaudible mush. Seems much more dramatic on a small amp with limited headroom than a big beast with masses of grunt. I'd absolutely recommend it in this context.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Japhet said:

I've never played through one but have always been pretty gobsmacked by the AER (Amp One?) combo. Have seen them used live a few times and was quite astonished that so much sound could come from such a tiny thing.

They are fabulous but really quite heavy. I wouldn't want to carry one by public transport.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Oomo said:

Always a good idea I think - I've definitely noticed a difference doing that even on the PBJ I use. My basic signal chain is tuner->Empress compressor->preamp->Broughton HPF/LPF, and pretty happy with it overall.

A suggestion - pop the HPF before the compressor.  Stops big lows from pulling everything else down, so should mean a more consistent signal.

• Like 1