Why become a member? ×

This Royal Mail strike is really something....

lidl e

15 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

not caused by Brexit, but a shortage of lorry drivers according to this anyway, which is affecting all EU countries last time I heard

https://www.water.org.uk/news-item/driver-shortage-statement/#:~:text=There is no shortage of,is solely one of distribution.”&text=What's the current situation%3F,small number of water companies

There is a general HGV driver issue. But in GB the issue is exacerbated by not being an EU member.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/12/2022 at 10:58, Lozz196 said:

Not sure about all working practices that are being looked at but I can understand why RM want to change some - maybe this has already been changed, maybe it was a practice that only happened in the depot he worked at but it`s what used to happen, my mate who was a postman told me about it:

2 postmen, Paul & Pete.

Paul is running a bit short on funds so gets Pete to pull a days sickie.

Pete gets paid for this day whilst at home and not sick at all.

Pauls duty is 8am - 5pm. Always finishes his round by 11.30 so always home by midday.

As Pete is off Paul covers Petes duty after doing his own, is back at the depot by 3pm, is home by 3.30pm.

Paul is still at home an hour and a half earlier than his scheduled duty time.

Paul receives a full days overtime (at overtime rates) for covering Petes duty.

Now I can understand unions looking after their members and T&Cs, fair play, no-one wants to be run over rough-shod by their employer and rightly so unions look after their members, but the above, well  I can see why any company would want such T&Cs changed. 

Doesn't sound believable or significant tbh:

Being scheduled til 5pm yet completing work before noon would seem to be a managent / Time and Motion issue.

How does Paul know he will get the extra round ? Unless it is a tiny delivery office with only two postmen at a given time.

It would seem to require managerial collusion rather than being an issue of working practices.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rmorris said:

Doesn't sound believable or significant tbh:

Being scheduled til 5pm yet completing work before noon would seem to be a managent / Time and Motion issue.

How does Paul know he will get the extra round ? Unless it is a tiny delivery office with only two postmen at a given time.

It would seem to require managerial collusion rather than being an issue of working practices.

Like all pub tales, there’s probably a kernel of truth here, but I imagine it’s exaggerated in the telling.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

not caused by Brexit, but a shortage of lorry drivers according to this anyway, which is affecting all EU countries last time I heard

https://www.water.org.uk/news-item/driver-shortage-statement/#:~:text=There is no shortage of,is solely one of distribution.”&text=What's the current situation%3F,small number of water companies

That is simply propaganda. There was no shortage of drivers or chemicals to treat sewage before Brexit. 

1 hour ago, mikel said:

That is simply propaganda. There was no shortage of drivers or chemicals to treat sewage before Brexit. 

There were a lot of European drivers here who chose to move on for better pay and a more friendly atmosphere elsewhere. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Rich locked this topic