Why become a member? ×

Overpaying for 2nd-hand gear on eBay!

Joe_L

2 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

Some folk automatically presume eBay etc are cheap. It used to be but no more. Cash converters is the same. They sell used pedals for more than the new price too. 

Absolutely. Many, many years ago, there were some really good deals to be had from ebay, but as its popularity grew, the real bargains dwindled away. 

I've seen a lot of stuff on there (procell batteries are one thing that springs to mind) where it's cheaper to buy from the likes of CPC than it is to get from ebay. I've also heard tales where sellers offer the goods on ebay and when someone buys it, orders from the cheaper supplier and just gets it shipped to their customer.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

Absolutely. Many, many years ago, there were some really good deals to be had from ebay, but as its popularity grew, the real bargains dwindled away. 

I've seen a lot of stuff on there (procell batteries are one thing that springs to mind) where it's cheaper to buy from the likes of CPC than it is to get from ebay. I've also heard tales where sellers offer the goods on ebay and when someone buys it, orders from the cheaper supplier and just gets it shipped to their customer.

What they do is called ‘dropshipping’  it’s used in a lot of places not just eBay, usually through trade suppliers though.  Mostly on eBay they wait for something to be reduced in price at end of line or clearance sales maybe on Amazon and list it at just cheaper than full retail, when people go on eBay looking it’s slightly cheaper than they’ve seen it elsewhere, a lot of the sellers don’t make a lot on the item, but sell hundreds of them and it’s easy money.

They also sometimes add high postage costs for a few extra pounds 

8 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

I've also heard tales where sellers offer the goods on ebay and when someone buys it, orders from the cheaper supplier and just gets it shipped to their customer.

That just sounds like a savvy seller. 

It surprises me that some are surprised when they see capitalism at work,  when we've been living in a capitalist society for eons.

Luckily, we're not forced to buy overpriced consumer goods

5 minutes ago, Eric.C.Lapton said:

What they do is called ‘dropshipping’  it’s used in a lot of places not just eBay, usually through trade suppliers though.  Mostly on eBay they wait for something to be reduced in price at end of line or clearance sales maybe on Amazon and list it at just cheaper than full retail, when people go on eBay looking it’s slightly cheaper than they’ve seen it elsewhere, a lot of the sellers don’t make a lot on the item, but sell hundreds of them and it’s easy money.

They also sometimes add high postage costs for a few extra pounds 

I knew there was a word for it, I just couldn't remember it. I should probably put more of the wine into the cooking and not into my glass!

On 23/12/2022 at 18:56, Dad3353 said:

It makes one regret the good ol' days of Exchange & Mart. 

MgwHqhp.gif

I bought my oldest P-Bass unseen from Exchange and Mart back in 80/81. The description matched what I was looking for, I spoke to bloke about it and then drove all the way from Yorkshire to Luton to buy it. A bit risky In hindsight but it worked out ok. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1