Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton MB 4 SBK mods?

thisisswanbon

I may very well go the the Warman route myself pick up wise, are they difficult to fit?

took my bass out to a gig on Saturday - straight to FOH via my Two Notes Le Bass Pre with bass boosted a touch and cab sim on.  Guy comes up and first words are "Muddy that, mate".  I did have the tone rolled back around 3/4" to be fair, and he did say it was better after a bit of adjustment (he did ask if it was an EBMM which surprised me).  After having a conversation with him, turns out he plays bass and had 3 Bongo basses.  If that's what he was comparing it to then I think "a bit muddy" is more than acceptable given the price difference!

Edited by thisisswanbon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

I may very well go the the Warman route myself pick up wise, are they difficult to fit?

took my bass out to a gig on Saturday - straight to FOH via my Two Notes Le Bass Pre with bass boosted a touch and cab sim on.  Guy comes up and first words are "Muddy that mate".  I did have the tone rolled back around 3/4" to be fair, and he did say it was better after a bit of adjustment (he did ask if it was an EBMM which surprised me).  After having a conversation with him, turns out he plays bass and had 3 Bongo basses.  If that's what he was comparing it to then I think "a bit muddy" is more than acceptable given the price difference!

I've used (live) my MB-5 SBK stock without any perceived 'muddiness'. I don't get the same sound I get with my Stingray (no surprises there, passive vs active) but it is not muddy. Maybe he just likes a brighter tone.

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 3

The Warman pickup almost went straight in. I duplicated the original wiring rather than fitting a switch and going 3 way switchable.  I had to file the cutout on the pickguqrd ever so slightly, but otherwise was very easy to install. It turned an amazing bass for the money into a brilliant sounding one at any price, although string choice will have an impact there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Folks. New here and about to attempt my first ever mods. Just got a Mb-4 SBK and would like to upgrade the pick ups and tuners. Has anyone used the Seymour Duncan SMB-4D? would this be the most 'sting ray' pick up? I could do with advice on wiring if it's not just a case of swapping like for like, on this or the warman pickup. Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, Mnw said:

Hi Folks. New here and about to attempt my first ever mods. Just got a Mb-4 SBK and would like to upgrade the pick ups and tuners. Has anyone used the Seymour Duncan SMB-4D? would this be the most 'sting ray' pick up? I could do with advice on wiring if it's not just a case of swapping like for like, on this or the warman pickup. Thanks for the help.

It's a very nice pickup (I do prefer slightly the SMB-4A), but it's not trying to replicate the Stingray pickups. If you want to get as close as possible to a classic Stingray sound you'd be better off with the Nordstrand MM4.2 which sounds very much like the original in my Stingray, or the Aguilar (I forget the model) one. If you just want a great sounding pickup, the Seymour Duncan (both D and A versions) is a great option. It'll still sound unmistakeably Stingrayesque, no question about it, it's just that the Nordstrand/Aguilar ones are closer to the originals.

I used to play an OLP with the SMB-4A and the Seymour Duncan preamp, as well as the Stingray. They sounded different but they were just different flavours of 'nice' ;)

On 13/04/2023 at 10:35, Mnw said:

I think, from a personal view the OE pup is very good indeed, but it's sensitive to strings, in much the same way as my 2000 MM-4H was.

Be worth slinging a set of new strings on the bass first before heart surgery. 😎

Heavily customised MB-4. Basically replaced most of the hardware 😛

First thing I did was change the strings (before I changed to flats) which made a huge difference to sound and output so would strongly recommend. 

Hipshot MB6 Lightweight tuners, barely any neck dive now when sitting.

Brass nut

Brass saddles

Dressed frets

Artec SE-2A Preamp with rear battery

La Bella LTF-4A Flexible Flat wounds

Series / parallel switch 

Rear mounted flush jack input (have always loved this design on Charvels and wanted to try it)

Sanded the neck for a better feel (and kept going because I liked the look. Bit of pink sharpie and I ended up here :p)

It now sounds and plays amazing and I have no want for a more expensive bass.

I tried the Warman pickup and thought it sounded way worse than the original, which I never had a problem with tbh

Need to fill the old tuner holes but haven't got round to it, will never like the look of the tiny tuners but the weight was worth it to me.

PXL_20230420_170938350.jpg

PXL_20230420_170945542.jpg

PXL_20230420_170958526.jpg

PXL_20230420_171020649.jpg

PXL_20230420_171042164.jpg

PXL_20230420_171054016.jpg

PXL_20230420_171102757.jpg

PXL_20230420_171105973.jpg

• 5 months later...
30 minutes ago, la bam said:

Qhi all, does anyone have a link to these warman pickups? 

Also will they just swap straight in? I've the double humbucker Harley benton and that has the 5 way switch and is active? 

http://warmanguitars.co.uk/

I had to slightly open up the hole in the pickguard.

• Like 1

I have to take my request back..... I tried the bass today as standard and it was fantastic!! 

What a great bass this is. Genuinely 5 different sounds, built in eq. Lovely. The setting inbetween neck and middle is genuinely better than my old g&l l2000 USA. 

I'm so impressed by this bass. 

12 minutes ago, la bam said:

I have to take my request back..... I tried the bass today as standard and it was fantastic!! 

What a great bass this is. Genuinely 5 different sounds, built in eq. Lovely. The setting inbetween neck and middle is genuinely better than my old g&l l2000 USA. 

I'm so impressed by this bass. 

Yeah I tried the warman and went back to stock! Only thing I'd definitely recommend is putting some decent strings on. Really took it to the next level. 

• Like 3