Why become a member? ×

Wireless system for the bass

sirmuppet

Anything that reduces stage spaghetti is worth it IMO, as long as it works OK. Enjoy the Smooth Hound. I wouldn’t be without my Boss WL-20 (fixed cable simulation). It’s great to be able to walk out the front during sound checks. I am always surprised at how different my bass tone is out front compared to what I hear “on stage”.

As others have said, you also have the option to get up to crowd pleasing antics. One of our guitarists walks round in the crowd while soloing. Guitarist eh!

On 18/01/2023 at 21:38, sirmuppet said:

I ended up getting a used Smooth Hound on Ebay for £40. Sounds excellent. I changed amp the same time I got it so can't say if there was a tonal difference but it sounds like a good bass so I can't complain. 

The Smooth Hound is fine, but one thing that niggles me is the choice of a centre-positive power supply. Would it really have been so difficult to go centre-negative like every[1] other pedal?

[1] Hyperbole, before the pedants[2] charge in

[2] Like me

38 minutes ago, tauzero said:

The Smooth Hound is fine, but one thing that niggles me is the choice of a centre-positive power supply. Would it really have been so difficult to go centre-negative like every[1] other pedal?

[1] Hyperbole, before the pedants[2] charge in

[2] Like me

True, that is an issue but I don't use any pedals 🤣 Not even a tuner. I'm allergic to them 🤪 ha ha.

On 09/12/2022 at 12:52, Paul S said:

Actually I do have one issue with the transmitter for my WL-50 - I have a bass with a recessed output jack and it won't fit in tightly enough to engage, the shoulders hit the dish of the recessed bit.  That's just one bass in an embarrassingly long line of basses :D And, frankly, the fault of the bass, not the transmitter.  

Ibanez?

• Like 1

On 24/01/2023 at 11:25, sirmuppet said:

True, that is an issue but I don't use any pedals 🤣 Not even a tuner. I'm allergic to them 🤪 ha ha.

Hopefully not a pedant but tbere is a reason most wall wart power supplies are centre positive. It makes them much more difficult to blow up by accident. The real question is WTF were Boss thinking making their pedals centre negative. However I will accept that the de facto standard is centre negative.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2023 at 11:19, Chienmortbb said:

Hopefully not a pedant but tbere is a reason most wall wart power supplies are centre positive. It makes them much more difficult to blow up by accident. The real question is WTF were Boss thinking making their pedals centre negative. However I will accept that the de facto standard is centre negative.

Presumably Boss also sold power supplies that were centre negative, which nobody else did for a while - that would have helped their profits. OTOH, it is more expensive to use a centre-negative jack in a pedal, because you have to insulate the jack from the pedal body, so I'm surprised the bean-counters didn't point that out.