Why become a member? ×

Keeley Bassist Compressor

dmccombe7

Just a quickie mention. Bought one of these this week and tried at home and found it a very impressive little pedal.

Absolutely no change in tone between off / on and it doesn't squash your sound at all. Only 3 knobs ....... Compression, Threshold and Gain and very easy to set up.

I only use a little compression approx 2:1 or 3:1 and set to smooth out my volume more than anything else.

First gig this Sat night with Glam band will put it thru its paces.

Expensive pedal but for me its worth it. I've tried a few others over the years and they've always affected my tone in some way except the inbuilt Mesa one which was 2 knobs and also quite subtle.

Dave

image.thumb.png.dfc87fa8e04897f134218a9562d790dd.png

• Like 3

I have had one for 5/6 years. Really great transparent compressor. The best thing about it is that I have never thought ‘I need a new compression pedal’ once since I bought it.

Highly recommended unless you need a compressor that really has an affect on the overall tone.

Works great on guitar too!

• Thanks 1

I've tried a few over the years, EBS, Mesa, Aphex, Boss and some others i cant remember 

They've all had a noticeable change on my tone some more than others but the Keeley so far i haven't noticed any tone change at all.

Maybe if i was using a lot more compression but i tend to set most compressors the same settings or thereabouts.

Dave

• Like 1

Worked an absolute treat on Sat nights gig. I forgot to switch it on for first 2 songs in 2nd set and i could hear the difference thru the songs before i realised what was different from 1st set.

Its so subtle at the settings i have which is exxactly what i was looking for.

No change in tone which is why it took me a while to figure out what was different.

All on all i'm very happy with this wee pedal.

Need to get myself a decent power supply now

Any thoughts on 9VDC power supplies.

Dave

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Worked an absolute treat on Sat nights gig. I forgot to switch it on for first 2 songs in 2nd set and i could hear the difference thru the songs before i realised what was different from 1st set.

Its so subtle at the settings i have which is exxactly what i was looking for.

No change in tone which is why it took me a while to figure out what was different.

All on all i'm very happy with this wee pedal.

Need to get myself a decent power supply now

Any thoughts on 9VDC power supplies.

Dave

You’ve made me spend some time with my settings again this evening. I think I’ve been squashing too much… backed off the ratio and raised the threshold a little, see how that sounds on Saturday!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

You’ve made me spend some time with my settings again this evening. I think I’ve been squashing too much… backed off the ratio and raised the threshold a little, see how that sounds on Saturday!

Got mine set at 3:1 compression and Threshold set where red light is flickering ON more than OFF but not on constantly. That allows me to play softer for quiet parts limits the harder hits. Gain set same level as when pedal switched off which just happens to be 12 o'clock

I'm not keen on an over compressed squashed tone but its down to personal preference.

I rtied the compressor at 4:1 setting first and it seemed a little squashed. At 2:1 it wasn't doing quite enough for me. A little bit of trial and error will get you there. 

I had to experiment a bit with the compression on my Mesa amp which has same controls as the Keeley. Now its set i never touch it. With the Keeley i now know exactly where it sits. 

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 06/12/2022 at 07:59, dmccombe7 said:

Got mine set at 3:1 compression and Threshold set where red light is flickering ON more than OFF but not on constantly. That allows me to play softer for quiet parts limits the harder hits. Gain set same level as when pedal switched off which just happens to be 12 o'clock

I'm not keen on an over compressed squashed tone but its down to personal preference.

I rtied the compressor at 4:1 setting first and it seemed a little squashed. At 2:1 it wasn't doing quite enough for me. A little bit of trial and error will get you there. 

I had to experiment a bit with the compression on my Mesa amp which has same controls as the Keeley. Now its set i never touch it. With the Keeley i now know exactly where it sits. 

Dave

Exactly how I have my Keeley set and its perfect!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/12/2022 at 07:39, dmccombe7 said:

Just a quickie mention. Bought one of these this week and tried at home and found it a very impressive little pedal.

Absolutely no change in tone between off / on and it doesn't squash your sound at all. Only 3 knobs ....... Compression, Threshold and Gain and very easy to set up.

I only use a little compression approx 2:1 or 3:1 and set to smooth out my volume more than anything else.

First gig this Sat night with Glam band will put it thru its paces.

Expensive pedal but for me its worth it. I've tried a few others over the years and they've always affected my tone in some way except the inbuilt Mesa one which was 2 knobs and also quite subtle.

Dave

image.thumb.png.dfc87fa8e04897f134218a9562d790dd.png

I’ve just ordered one of these to use in front of my CTM100 valve head 

I’m aiming to use it as a limiter really but I like the fact it claims not to colour your sound at all 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I’ve just ordered one of these to use in front of my CTM100 valve head 

I’m aiming to use it as a limiter really but I like the fact it claims not to colour your sound at all 

It works great with my Trace Elliot V6. I also recommend trying it as a boost by turning the compression all the way down and turning the gain all the way up. Instant clean boost.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Probably sounds like the CTM range as they are KT88 driven albeit with passive EQ 

I wanted a neutral sounding comp / limiter and the Keeley appears to be good 

I’m sure that there is a bunch of the Trace V-type DNA in the CTM line in terms of the EQ controls.

• Like 1

The Handbox WB-100 is an all valve amp and i use mine more as a limiter for when i hit a string a little bit hard. I dont have it set in a way its working all the time. I occasionally see the compression light flicker when i hit the strings that bit harder.

With regards the tone. I honestly can't hear any difference when i switch ON/OFF.

Recently in the punk band the guitarist said he liked to hear the changes in volume when i dig in as its more expressive in some songs. So last gig with the punk band i didn't use it and it sounded good.

Another reason i wanted one was that when i use my P bass the volume change when going from tone ON to tone OFF was significant and i had to adjust volumes to compensate. With the Keeley i set it on the lower volume and if i turn the tone full up the compressor limits my volume to keep it all more even.

Its by far the best compressor/limiter i've ever used.

Dave

Thanks Dave sounds like my needs are similar 

In particular when playing loud rock I tend to pluck harder and of course I’m trying to protect the speakers 

With the CTM you can see this “ surge” on the output VU meter and I guess doing nothing is fine but I thought add a limiter now before I later wish I had !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Thanks Dave sounds like my needs are similar 

In particular when playing loud rock I tend to pluck harder and of course I’m trying to protect the speakers 

With the CTM you can see this “ surge” on the output VU meter and I guess doing nothing is fine but I thought add a limiter now before I later wish I had !

You can set the Keeley up solely as a limiter with no compression however i use it more as a compressor than purely limiting.

Some of the youtube clips show you the difference between the two functions. No matter how i set it i like the fact the tone itself doesn't change. The signal can change with over compression and additional sustain like any compressor but with this i'm not seeing tonal changes.

I'm very happy with it.

Dave

• Like 1

It arrived today and it’s a very nice sounding compressor 

No colouration or loss of tone 

Compressor works very well as does Limiter 

Takes seconds to set up and the Green / Red led makes it simple to see what’s happening. I like it a lot and feel it will do just as required in front of my valve amp 

I m running a TC Spark Booster after it as a gentle clean boost and that seems to pair nicely especially with the CTM100 head 

• Like 1

Ok further update mines going back 

Ive noticed a faint noise when the compressor @ releases the signal IE Led goes red to green 

Very minor but it’s present and I’ve eliminated the power supply and tried batteries 

Such a shame as I liked it fine up to then !! 

For a £200 compressor I expected better