Why become a member? ×

DHA (Dave Hall Amps) VT1 EQ DI Users?

NAS Bass

I've used one of these for about 7 years now - studio and live, absolutely love the tone, both clean(ish) and drive. 

I'm doing lots of gigs lately where the backline is provided or shared with other bands, so finding im relying on the VT1 for a consistent sound to FOH.

Whilst I can find no fault with the tone, some of the cons are starting to outweigh the pros: 

• Valve sticking out just waiting to get broken, either in transit or worse still on stage
  • Its own 12v power supply (thin cable). I know there are 12v options with multi supplies but most are quite low mA
  • Quite big switches sticking out of the side - same problem as valve

Has anyone who has used / heard a DHA got a recommendation for one of the other readily available Drive/EQ/DI boxes that wont be a radical change from the VT1 sound? 

All of those issues can be solved by sitting it on top of your amp.

Kinda stops it being a pedal though...

I had a VT1 EQ for (Many happy) years and used the 12v supply from my Donner DP2 power unit - delivers 12v at 500mA, so I just used a polarity reverser that it came with and never gave it a second thought.

Before using the Donner I used to use a 12v laptop power supply with no ill effects - 12vdc at a couple of amps and it was already centre positive, so no need to invert the power supply.

The only thing that I've heard that came even close to the DHA unit was a BlueTube 903 Tube drive. 3 band EQ and a 12AX7 (ECC83 to you and me) tube that is fully enclosed. 

They tend to be rare and expensive these days though.

TC electronic do a Tube Driver for a LOT less than you'll find DHA kit for, but I've never used one. 

As with anything there's the Behringer version - the VT999 which again uses an honest-to-goodness vacuum tube with an EQ circuit, but again, I've only seen them.

15 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

All of those issues can be solved by sitting it on top of your amp.

Kinda stops it being a pedal though...

I had a VT1 EQ for (Many happy) years and used the 12v supply from my Donner DP2 power unit - delivers 12v at 500mA, so I just used a polarity reverser that it came with and never gave it a second thought.

Before using the Donner I used to use a 12v laptop power supply with no ill effects - 12vdc at a couple of amps and it was already centre positive, so no need to invert the power supply.

The only thing that I've heard that came even close to the DHA unit was a BlueTube 903 Tube drive. 3 band EQ and a 12AX7 (ECC83 to you and me) tube that is fully enclosed. 

They tend to be rare and expensive these days though.

TC electronic do a Tube Driver for a LOT less than you'll find DHA kit for, but I've never used one. 

As with anything there's the Behringer version - the VT999 which again uses an honest-to-goodness vacuum tube with an EQ circuit, but again, I've only seen them.

Great to hear from another VT1 user - you get what I mean about the great tone! 

The pedals you suggest sound great although I’m definitely looking for a DI as part of it. 

Anyone got recommendations for some of the newer, dare I say, tubeless units?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a VT2 Twin EQ, awesome pedal but big, and as you say somewhat delicate for constant live use. I've put it away for future use and got the Laney Digbeth DB Pre, very happy with it, similar sounding (to my bad ears), much quieter background noise and as equally tweakable.

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Laney-Digbeth-DB-PRE/art-BAS0011725-000?campaign=GShopping/GB&ProgramUUID=HADAqJarPzAAAAFlea9yjI.G&campaign=GShopping/UK&ProgramUUID=HADAqJarPzAAAAFlea9yjI.G&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtICdBhCLARIsALUBFcHAaIGqopcdpu9xTI1c5m11fuzfyNTN80h2Fc3q38c4WzO9UPw4ZtYaAtN1EALw_wcB

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

Got a VT2 Twin EQ, awesome pedal but big, and as you say somewhat delicate for constant live use. I've put it away for future use and got the Laney Digbeth DB Pre, very happy with it, similar sounding (to my bad ears), much quieter background noise and as equally tweakable.

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Laney-Digbeth-DB-PRE/art-BAS0011725-000?campaign=GShopping/GB&ProgramUUID=HADAqJarPzAAAAFlea9yjI.G&campaign=GShopping/UK&ProgramUUID=HADAqJarPzAAAAFlea9yjI.G&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtICdBhCLARIsALUBFcHAaIGqopcdpu9xTI1c5m11fuzfyNTN80h2Fc3q38c4WzO9UPw4ZtYaAtN1EALw_wcB

Having looked at various other solutions, I'm currently putting a very small pedalboard pre/EQ/drive together - Q/Strip for the DI and EQ and probably a Barbershop (or similar) for the drive. Good to have an all in one solution but I can't find one I like enough. DHA sounds do take a lot of beating to my ears!

I used to own a VT1 EQ DI and currently have a VT1 Bob the Blender DI.

I've tried numerous preamps /DI's and the closest I've got to the DHA is the non-valve Quilter Interbass (which also can be used as a 45w amp) although it uses a laptop style 24v power supply.

The nearest valve pre that I own to the DHA is the Markbass Vintage pre. I also own a Two Notes LeBass.

Surprisingly, I also modified a Source Audio C4 patch, based on a very subtle autowah, that provides a lovely thick clean tone that can be varied using the mix knob. This works really well as a vintage tone control especially with flats.

My pedalboard consists of Markbass Vintage >> C4 >> Quilter Interbass, with a compressor and HPF in amongst them.

Far be it for me to tell someone not to buy something new (stop making eyes ar me Neural QC). However, if this works for you then just get it to a pedal repairer, tell them to put it into a more robust box and put a decent power supply solution in it while you are at it. Maybe some switchable FX loops. If it works, don't fix it. But fix it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Owen said:

Far be it for me to tell someone not to buy something new (stop making eyes ar me Neural QC). However, if this works for you then just get it to a pedal repairer, tell them to put it into a more robust box and put a decent power supply solution in it while you are at it. Maybe some switchable FX loops. If it works, don't fix it. But fix it. 

Got any suggestions for someone who works on pedals?