Why become a member? ×

La Bella Deep Talkin' flats on StingRay?

StingRayBoy42

I love the La Bellas on my 70s reissue P Bass, tons of old skool thump especially with the tone rolled off. 

Great for Rock 'n' Roll, Motown/Disco, Ska and Jazz which is what I'm playing at the mo. 

My StingRay is currently wearing EB Slinky Cobalt Flats, which are pretty nice, just wondering if anyone is using Deep Talkin' flats on their 'Ray and if they suit?

All opinions welcome!

I would be interested to hear the answer to this, too. 

I tried DTFs on my G&L, which has a spilt MFD, a pickup with a very strong personality. I found that the La Bellas were nonetheless the dominant partner in the resultant sound — like the strings were the core of the tone and the MFD just a filter. (A good sound but not what I wanted)

So I'm curious to know which takes the upper hand when DTFs are put on a Stingray.

I had the 760fx set on my ray for ages. They really bring out the mids and feel great. The G string pops sounded really meaty and full. Cobalts are far closer to rounds than flats imo so you’ll notice a definite change. But every stingray owner should try it once. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not La Bella's but the same sort of sound and feel, I've been using GHS Precision flats on my OLP Stingray for a few years, both for Disco, Funk, Motown and Classic Rock. Works great and sits in the mix with plenty of punch. Higher tension suits me so I use standard 45-105.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Took the plunge and put a set of DTFs on my StingRay.
They sound fat, with tons of thump and punch - only played at practice volume so far, but I can't wait to gig them.

They EQ controls seem way more sensitive with the DTFs on - espeially the Bass.
No bad thing!

I'll report back after I've gigged them if anyone's interested.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Took the plunge and put a set of DTFs on my StingRay.
They sound fat, with tons of thump and punch - only played at practice volume so far, but I can't wait to gig them.

They EQ controls seem way more sensitive with the DTFs on - espeially the Bass.
No bad thing!

I'll report back after I've gigged them if anyone's interested.

Give them a few months until they break in properly and then you’ll hear the la Bella thump and tone, you could of course soak them in mayonnaise as Sean Hurley does or glob a bit of hand cream on before playing each time. You think they sound good now, just wait 💥🎉💥