Why become a member? ×

Musicman USA SUB StingRay Bass - *SOLD*
£500
Lancaster

ash

MusicMan USA SUB StingRay Bass

This bass is around 20 years old and is one of the US SUB basses made by Ernie Ball for only a couple of years in an effort to build a ‘budget MusicMan bass’. It was short lived - the basses proved very popular and expensive to produce as they used the same electrics, necks and bodies. The only compromise being a cheaper textured finish, slab body, painted necks and none logo stamped hardware. 

They were made in the same factory side by side with their more expensive counterparts. So not to be confused with modern Sterling SUBs from Indonesia. This is a full blooded StingRay with an active two band eq. It comes with black pearl scratchplate and original textured aluminium plate. 

All original with a graphite finish and black neck. It weighs 4kgs so very easy on the shoulder for a StingRay. 

I bought it recently as a back up for my US Sterling unfortunately the body is wider than my Sterling basses and because there is no contouring it aggravates my shoulder and neck injury. As soon as I played it for more than ten minutes standing or seated I recognised why I can’t get on with StingRays and why I’m so happy with the Sterling because of its smaller contoured body. 

This SUB plays and sounds superb, it is strung with medium roundwounds and really growls. The rosewood board and frets are in excellent condition and the neck is straight with working trussrod. Some tiny cosmetic blemishes on the body and scrapes off the finish on the headstock. 

I am selling this for what I paid for it however I would consider a straight trade for the US Musicman SUB Sterling model (yes these were also available) or a Sterling SB14 (the import version) with money my way. 

No offers please as it is an excellent price and I’m selling for what it cost me. I can post it within the UK at buyer’s cost but will remove the neck as there is no case with it. Pickup preferred of course. Sleeping cat not included. 

I’m gutted as it is a superb bass at a bargain price and looks fantastic however it’s impractical for me ergonomically. 

Any questions please message me. 

Edited by ash
Sold
  • Like 7

• ash changed the title to Musicman USA SUB StingRay Bass Sold