Why become a member? ×

NBD - Dingwall NG3 (Aquamarine Flake✨)

Machines

As someone with 2 Dingwalls, I did not need a 3rd (or the 2nd but let's not digress). However thanks @MattParkerBass for pointing this out on Facebook Marketplace. The cons ? Missing the pickguard (apparently it was stolen at a gig ?!), as well as the magnetic battery cover oh and it's a 6 hour round trip. The seller was collection only but was willing to hold it for nearly a week for me, so off I and the wife trekked on Saturday morning to central Cardiff. Picked up the bass and had a nose around the city, and left before the Rugby finished to avoid the chaos that would likely ensue. n.b. to Cardiff city council, you need to sort your bin men contracts out.

According to the Dingwall FB Group, this is one of 66 in this finish globally, so that's pretty cool. I had a spare Combustion pickguard knocking about, so routed out the extra pickup gap much better than I expected to. Not sure the white will stay, but it's good for now, as is the pickguard off entirely. Dingwall are sending me a new battery box cover also, result. It's surprisingly different to the NG2 which is a bit lighter (fewer pickups aside) as well as a the NG3 being quite frankly louder with an identical setup.

I think this and the D-Roc need to be keepers (please don't laugh @AndyTravis) - as they do everything for me sonically, ergonomically and aesthetically. We're on nearly 8 months for the D-Roc and haven't had the itch yet, so fingers crossed.

image.thumb.png.c7e179d5e9b4785f1af8f3f3ab2256c3.png

image.thumb.png.2a0e6c494653d694dd24620abdeefcbf.png

image.thumb.png.938f434096c4dbfbc8a87cdd37426cb3.png

image.png

Edited by Machines
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, MichaelDean said:

I saw that one come up - good score and an excellent price! I wish I could have convinced my wife I needed it, but I think a D-Roc to go with my Combustion would sate my Dingwall needs better. 

Yes, very different. The D-Roc is much fatter and has less attack, but don't think that means none. Having both is 100% not overlapping tones too much.

1 hour ago, Owen said:

I am glad I did not see that. I find it hard to say no to sparkly and matching headstocks. 

I spent a couple of days stalking it before messaging as the missing parts and aftermarket Les Paul knobs were a bit off putting, but I knew I could restore it.

• Like 1

The three pick up arrangement  is really good and creates a kind of ‘ramp’ but also allows you to anchor your thumb from the bridge to neck so you can really use that placement to sound deeper or brighter with ease.

My DBird is up for grabs as my 80’s band is dissolving if folks are interested 😉😉 it listed in the FS section.

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

Nice!

I'm starting to feel the GAS for a Dingwall again. I had owned a Combustion, but it was quite a heavy one and the Ibanez EHB 1005MS seemed a decent lighter and cheaper alternative...and it was good but but not quite as good as the Combustion which just felt like a better made instrument (albeit more expensive and bigger and heavier). 

If Dingwall make a headless purple sparkle Combustion or NG I'll be selling a kidney to get it.

Edited by SumOne

6 hours ago, SumOne said:

Nice!

I'm starting to feel the GAS for a Dingwall again. I had owned a Combustion, but it was quite a heavy one and the Ibanez EHB 1005MS seemed a decent lighter and cheaper alternative...and it was good but but not quite as good as the Combustion which just felt like a better made instrument (albeit more expensive and bigger and heavier). 

If Dingwall make a headless purple sparkle Combustion or NG I'll be selling a kidney to get it.

I had the EHB1005 standard scale which was nice - but didn't feel like it would hold up well to stiff wind and would quickly look battered with that satin finish and soft top. Also the 1005MS is only 35" on the B which is not a comparable fanned fret to a Dingwall. I did suggest to Sheldon for more flake finishes and he gave me a raised eyebrow, so I think it is not impossible, can't guarantee you purple though sorry.

• Like 1