Why become a member? ×

New Bitsa Day

bloke_zero

You know what, I'm fed up by the moderators dictatorship since @ped decided to take a break: you are no god and you can tell all the crap you want, I don't care as I don't believe in god(s).

I give up and don't want to argue and then counter argue, and counter counter argue and so on as it's useless.

A forum is not a real place, but a virtual place where heresy and power over people seem to be the norm.

I've been away for something like 9 months and I came back to notice it's getting worst.

You simply like to manipulate people and walk on them, so keep going on, but you must be in such a desperate position to act like this.

I won't play your game, and if you are deaf, have no ears, and like to tell būllshit, just go on as it's what's you like.

I never liked people wanting to rule the world by pretending they know everything.

Farewell!

PS: If you have bålls, leave this post unerased and start reading before posting.

12 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

You know what, I'm fed up by the moderators dictatorship since @ped decided to take a break: you are no god and you can tell all the crap you want, I don't care as I don't believe in god(s).

Are you talking about me? I am not a mod so I assume not, but I don't see any mods telling you anything, so a bit puzzled.

Are you flouncing off because i don't agree with your views on  battery voltage? really? wow...

Oh dear! Seems like these were more questions than assertions from Woodinblack? So easy to misinterpret tone on line!

Having just tried this (going from 9V to 18V) I can report that this is a simple issue of headroom - there is a lot more of it at 18V and the EMG's sound a lot more like the video. There is something pleasing about them at 9V but I'm getting closer to the bell like clarity with them running at 18V.

I don't think it's controversial to say that some preamps run cleaner at higher voltages (though of course some aren't designed that way and don't). I recently built a Hudson Broadcast clone that runs at 9V or 27V with a charge pump and the difference is night and day - 9V being thin and rasping 27V being plump and warm.

17 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Having just tried this (going from 9V to 18V) I can report that this is a simple issue of headroom - there is a lot more of it at 18V and the EMG's sound a lot more like the video. There is something pleasing about them at 9V but I'm getting closer to the bell like clarity with them running at 18V.

Does this mean I've now got to add an extra battery and mess with my lovely wiring? :(  I think I probably already know the answer.

Although I think Mr Sklar was running them with a 9V for each p/up so technically 9V in parallel and therefore not an 18V circuit.

Edited by ead

On 22/12/2022 at 10:41, Woodinblack said:

he was, one battery per pickup so each had its own power with a common ground

That is certainly what is implied, but maybe he could be mistaken? It's pretty common to run the EMG's at 18V -  EMG sell an external power supply which does just that.

Phase 3: Guitar and Bass build Jazz neck with rosewood.

That is my new years eve party sorted - some fine grit sand paper, gun oil and a brass nut!

signal-2022-12-22-230732_002.thumb.jpeg.88520f3398d977517632a34246b8a479.jpeg

How can peeps on here get so stressed out about what ultimately is the future of some body else's bass?

I had a saying in the workplace

You don't get paid any extra for nervous breakdowns or heart attacks.

This is not a place to batter people over the head with your ego.

It is a place to love and help your fellow players to be at their best and to chill out while doing it.

Divas hold microphones or play lead guitar please please don't join them by going off to sulk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I doubt it - but maybe he started with 1 and then added the other one later. Has the advantage that you are always going to have a pickup if one battery dies!

The 'back-up' pickup would deffo be a benefit.

I have decided to leave mine as is in the end.  I've had a lot of comments at gigs not only about the aesthetics and 'back story' of the bass, but more importantly about how it sounds which is a good thing :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Jazz neck, brass nut, Wilkinson tuners:

signal-2023-01-02-230639_002.thumb.jpeg.fe47e9f7b443fb7a2480238bdb6755f6.jpeg

Used some Montypresso relic wax to darken the fingerboard and make the maple less white. I'm pleased. Light oil finish feels great.

It feels a lot tighter - drilling new holes and super tight fit has really coupled the neck and body. Feels like the mids are much stronger. I hvae been recording as I've gone along but the labeling has been poor! I'll need to reconcile recording dates with posts here before I can post comparison audio.

Might do some more work on the nut and obviously get a string retainer for a better break angle at the nut. Mainly I'm waiting for some new strings now as the set I have on there were already old ones which I've now taken on and off about twenty times and feel pretty dead!

I can confirm that the pickups sound a lot clearer to my ears at 18V. If you check the manual it does suggest running them at 18 for extra headroom:

https://www.emgpickups.com/pub/media/Mageants/p/_/p_p5_p6-b245_0230-0107rf.pdf

If you want to operate your instrument at +18 Volts for more
headroom then use 2 batteries wired as below.

• Like 2