Why become a member? ×

Clean > Drive > Fuzz / Boost single pedal solutions...

Ander87

Hey everyone!

You may have seen me swap my gear recently - I'm on a passive Fender Jazz and Precision for my punk rock and neosoul stuff, and I have recently changed the amp head to an Ashdown ABM 600 Evo IV; what a great surprise! I'm loving the amp and its tone. this goes with my Barefaced cab.

I have also changed my HX Effects since I just do not use all those effects honestly, and can't be asked with a big pedal/pedalboard - I've always avoided pedalboards cause I just can't be asked with all the power supplies, cabling and just price of building a good pedalboard. 

I only used clean and distortion really - and I can do with a boosted clean (EQ is fine) same as fuzzy distortion for some parts. I have normally used Darkglass Alpha Omega / B7k / Microtubes for this with a good result, and did try the Alpha Omega Photon but it's simply too many features (don't need cab sim, no need for actual programmable presets...) - it felt a bit overkill.

So! since the swap to Ashdown worked so well, I'm happy to step outside Darkglass and consider options?

Wishlist/use I'll give the pedal:

- Use of a clean channel with a different EQ to boost or change over the ABM 600

- Distortion, fuzz being a nice addition - despite being 'only' punk rock I do distort more in the metal territory, and we're just a trio so I have options to boost/fuzz over little solos or baselines etc.

- Would love the ability to blend the clean and distortion signal... not absolutely critical but if not possible I want that sound that has plenty of definition, I use treble/tweeter quite a bit and don't want the opposite muddy blur, just.

- ONE PEDAL!

Nice to haves:

- DI out, so that I can just take my pedal in the gigbag where the backline is provided/not allowed (we've gigs where some folk are fuzzy about bands bringing their own rigs... I always try bring mine but yeah)

- Simple/decent compressor - I'm a one knob guy tbh so long as it's not too complicated, just to thicken up a bit but also I can EQ the clean to push that tone anyway.

Shortlist so far...:

- Ashdown Geezer Butler pedal of doom - I can use the clean by itself (pro) but the distortion/fuzz is one channel only (con) but both clean and distortion/fuzz can be used at the same time so maybe that could work...?

- Barefaced Machinist - Seems like I could mix the clean to be engaged only with distortion and fuzz, rather than by itself (con) but I can do distortion and fuzz independently (pro)

My budget would be up to £300 I'd want to say, can consider new but prefer second hand of course!

Many, many thanks! Much as I've traded a million basses and changed amps, pedals is definitely not my forte so apologies if I'm asking for something that's right in front of me.

Best,

Ander.

9 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Rather than the holy grail I think you would be better off seeking an overdrive and a fuzz that do what you want. Two pedals is hardly a board and it will be whole lot easier to obtain perfection.

Hmmm... I am actually seeking the holy grail haha I'll give you that - nonetheless I use the fuzz for some 3 minutes altogether in a set,  that wouldn't warrant the pedal and expense for me anyways. And also that solution wouldn't give me the clean EQ to push/boost cleans here and there so it kind of feels like it'd warrant a compressor or EQ pedal... Not to sound dramatic but it'd just skyrocket expense cabling and portability for a simple mind like mine - I can do it, but I don't think I'd enjoy the hassle and would end up wanting to downsize or swap something...

Thanks @ped! I had a look at it yep! really feels like a fuzzy fuzz more than the tight distortion - maybe like @Downunderwonder mentioned looking for a tight aggressive distortion and a fuzz in the same thing may be an impossible...

... I have had a good play with the Alpha Omega into the ABM and it gets the distortion right, then again I can thicken/boost with the valve drive and sub/octave thing from the amp head...

I'm gonna give it a go to the pedalboard for the amp see if I get on with it well... some more cables tbh but at least no more power supply finicking...! That'd give me the clean, clean with more texture, distortion, and boosted heavy distortion...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ander87 said:

looking for a tight aggressive distortion and a fuzz in the same thing may be an impossible...

I'm sure there's plenty that do distortion and fuzz. You need both just right or you're forced to compromise for the sake of carrying one box instead of two. So many tight distortions, so many fuzzes. You may as well have exactly what you want.

Tight distortion is in the wheelhouse of a BDDI Deluxe. It also does a clean boost which can be had with or without more drive AND with or without the secondary fx loop enabled.

35 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

I was thinking you had clean down, care of the new amp, so two stomps to cover the rest.

Thanks! yep I've got it down where I want to but wouldn't mind that pushed/boost here and there...!

18 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

You need both just right or you're forced to compromise for the sake of carrying one box instead of two

I think this is the key thing, thank you - 2 boxes perfect vs one that does most right... The Source Audio Aftershock comes to mind, also rather cheap if I convince myself to do two boxes...!

19 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Tight distortion is in the wheelhouse of a BDDI Deluxe

Will look out and listen for it - never had a bass driver myself but the tone I've seen online is more on the blurry growl than tight and aggressive - probs my short attention span for pedals, will dig more just in case!

Ander.

9 hours ago, Ander87 said:

I think this is the key thing, thank you - 2 boxes perfect vs one that does most right... The Source Audio Aftershock comes to mind, also rather cheap if I convince myself to do two boxes...!

The Source Audio Aftershock does indeed sound like it'll provide just about everything you want, the only thing missing being a DI out. It has a clean blend and you can save up to 6 presets on the pedal itself, either creating your own from more than 40 different drive types, each patch can use 1 or 2 drive types (or engines as they're called) either cascaded into one another or in parallel. You have a fully configurable 4 band EQ with 2 parametric mid bands plus high and low pass filters. 

Plus, there's a guy who lives just down the road from you who may be looking to sell one that's immaculate, it's only a couple of months old and is still boxed with all the goodies 😀 

Just now, Ander87 said:

Haha thanks @Osiris! Will read your post in more detail in a couple hours. 

my question on the aftershock, you can’t access more than one patch physically on the fly can you? Nothing like double stomp engages preset 2 or similar, I assume?

Ander. 

There is a 3 way mini toggle switch on the pedal that allows you to quickly switch between 3 different sounds, you just need to bend down to change it with your fingers, you can't do it with your feet as the switch is between 2 of the control knobs. Plus you can press and hold the foot switch for a second to access another 3 presets. This is all on the pedal itself without any of the additional MIDI hardware!

• Like 1

@Osiris thank you - this is not the 'idealest' setup but I use fuzz just in particular circumstances, mostly when the bass is soloing with vocals or drums only to thicken up the absence of guitar... Could work as a gentle overdrive, real distortion with the AO and fuzz back flicking the switch where necessary...

... you guys are seducing me too much with the idea of a pedalboard - I'll end up wanting a tuner and a compressor now...! Yes, you are right, I'll admit, but dang, it is a cold truth to realise the holy grail does not exist :D 

Spark booster 4 knob version would give you a clean boost with two additional settings -mids boost or ‘fat’ boost along with a bass and treble eq, gain and level. The bass is set at 80Hz so is a good fit for bass and for about £30-40 used it’s an absolute steal. As a clean boost/2B eq it’s perfectly decent and should push the front end of the Ashdown. 

I have a Fender Pro800 which is a super clean fast amp. The Fender Trapper I have was used for an amp like drive in front of that but it’s more amp drive than fuzz. It’s a two button pedal with a clean blend and x-over. 

I also use some DG pedals the AO and VMT small enclosure when I want to mix things up. The VMT is a killer always on pedal for what I need. 

Finding just one do all pedal often results on some compromises and for a budget of £300 you could very easily fill a pedal train Nano with a couple of decent dedicated units and have the options you want/need without he second guessing. I mean it’s a slippery road right but…😀

Haha noted, that’s what I wanted to avoid @krispn, the slippery road of cabling changing one pedal then another then expanding…

think I’m gonna settle for a Comp+Gain boost pedal I’ve seen (collaboration devices), that gives me clean and the boosted stage with a bit of hair, then the alpha omega. And add a tuner pedal cause every board needs one. 

maybe that’d work as a minimalist board…..!?

Do you have the pedal for the ABM600? If so, with that and the Alpha Omega, you should have enough options to achieve what you want.  Or if you’ve really got the GAS, just add a fuzz pedal.  I got the Duality just to add that extra kick now and again. 

On 18/11/2022 at 19:25, Downunderwonder said:

Trace Elliot TransitB does that along with some pretty gnarly blending drive and a full EQ section that can also be switched in and out.

Ahar! Ran away from a HX Effects cause I feel I wanted it smaller/less options... These Trace Elliot and sans amp minipedalboards can be pretty cool though...  I got the Alpha Omega and like it or not it seems I'm at home with the Darkglass distortion...

26 minutes ago, garyt said:

Do you have the pedal for the ABM600? If so, with that and the Alpha Omega, you should have enough options to achieve what you want.  Or if you’ve really got the GAS, just add a fuzz pedal.  I got the Duality just to add that extra kick now and again. 

I do just now! I'm giving that a go - nonetheless the compressor is not that so is it? and the drive couuuuld be a bit tighter - hm. Will keep experimenting with it.

Update, though! I am giving in and building a small pedalboard, 'just' three pedals. Keeping the Alpha Omega, putting the Collaboration Devices Compressor before it (for those interested, such a cool pedal - super transparent, gentle compressor for peaks), and adding a polytune to complete.

Yup, harley benton power supply underneath, £40...

Will see how that turns up but I've got hopes... And yep, bought a pedal train nano on purpose instead of the nano+, to make sure I don't end up with more stuff than I need :D 

• Like 1