Why become a member? ×

What is it that I want!? Ampeg, Ashdown...?

Ander87

Hey gang,

I'm in a bit of a mess so I figured I could do with your help.

I come back from active Stingrays into a HX Effects, Eich T900 and a Barefaced Big Baby 2.

I've swapped the Stingrays to Fenders + cash in the bank and now I have two passive American Original Precision and Jazz. I really like their sound but I'm ready for a change. 

The Barefaced is staying as it projects massively and clearly and it's lightweight etc.

I am after a head with more colour, and my first instinct was Ampeg. I tried an SVT 7 Pro at a rehearsal room and funny enough I quite liked it! I always push the treble and low on the Rays and I play punk rock and neosoul. So I need a fat clean, a punchy clean and a dirty sound and I'm sorted.

Now I start to dig around and it seems like the Ashdown is all the things the Ampeg could be and I have yet less idea about Ashdowns other than the crappy ones you often see in rehearsal rooms.

I love that scooped, trebbly character you can pull from an Ampeg but from my research it seems you can make those with Ashdown too... ie. Ashdown will cover Ampeg but Ampeg won't cover the warmth from Ashdown....

... Any other players I should consider? I don't love the drive/controls on the Aguilar Tone Hammer so that's discarded... Mesa Boogie Subway D800+?

Thanks!

Ander.

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with Ashdown, the ABM600 will do exactly what you’re after. Also pairs well with Barefaced cabs.

Exactly and you can get them repaired easily. Best customer service in the business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm! thank you both!

Am I right in going for the ABM 600? Any other model I should research or consider? I'd like to not have to dough out for my Eich T900 so I've a 'buying power' of about £500-600. 

Saw a mint ABM 600 for £450...!

Sorry, I spend all my day trading basses and rarely change amp heads :D 

The ABM is pretty much Industry standard and has been refined over the years to what it is now.

You could consider the Rootmaster, if you wanted to save weight. It does an approximation of the ABM sound, is loud, but doesn't seem to have the authority of the ABM.

I've tried most amps on the market and Ashdown does it for me.

• Thanks 1

Thank you!

Yes, I've always obsessed over a small amp, hence my Eitch T900 I put in my gig bag... 

... Having said that, I always drive to venues and rehearsals, many times I use the HX Effects into the rehearsal room if I'm feeling lazy or rushed to pack cables etc...!

What I'm saying is, despite my obsession for portability, I don't really need it - that does not mean I'm after a huge Ampeg, but the size of the ABM 600 is defo enough.

Also I'm pushing 600w on 8ohm with the Eich T900... Assuming the 350ish of the ABM on 8 ohm will be plenty for stage in pubs and the like...

Definitely, I used my ABM600 with many different cabs over the years of gigging on shared line-up/shared backline gigs. Admittedly audience always got front of house but irrespective of what cab I was using the ABM600 was always powerful enough for on-stage sound, and we played some pretty big venues/stages. 

• Thanks 1

Well... It seems I've found a 20th Anniversary ABM 600 EVO IV nearby home for £400...

... this is the quilted panel with silvery front - assuming it's a good price even for a regular ABM 600 - don't care much about the "limited edition-ness"... 

Shall I pull the trigger? 👀

Definitely ABM600 is the amp to choose and is one of the best in the industry.., plus 

If you get a secondhand model and find any issues Ashdown U.K. will put it right mostly at no cost or the price of a packet of biscuits !!

The only thing I’ve changed on my ABM600 was the preamp tube 

Great time to buy as the EVO V was launched and prices are falling on the ABM600 

Check out the Ashdown owners topic on here and ask for any tips etc

The amp is more of a gigging amp compared to a whisper quiet class D studio amp.

However it has a great DI too for recording if that happens or sending it to the PA 

Finally it’s a very loud amp with authority in it’s tone that matches well with most genres 

Learn more about the “ Shape” feature too as that makes a difference on the amp in a band 

• Like 1

Hm thank you for the notes @BassAdder60 it seems like the ABM is a big winner, unanimously! I was expecting Ampeg to put some more resistance to it ha!

Curious about the EVO V but can't justify the price...

... Yes, I'm seeing the ABM 600 for about 450-500 often... this particular limited edition one claims to be UK made and hand wired... Is the 'regular' ABM 600 EVO IV also UK made / hand wired? Not sure if that one I checked is too good to be true...

Will defo ask some questions and check on the Ashdown owners thread, thank you!

Ander.

3 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Ashdown will cover Ampeg but Ampeg won't cover the warmth from Ashdown....

I think that's your answer. And if you still have a Helix you can run an Ampeg sim through your Ashdown with the EQ disengaged. 

ABM600s are awesome but dog around all the online retailers, Reverb, and the BC Marketplace. I got a cracking deal on a brand new ABM600 by buying the last one in stock from a Belgian retailer. Even after import tax and VAT it was cheaper than some second hand ones. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:
3 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Ashdown will cover Ampeg but Ampeg won't cover the warmth from Ashdown....

I think that's your answer. And if you still have a Helix you can run an Ampeg sim through your Ashdown with the EQ disengaged. 

Aha! Yep I'm on the fence about moving or keeping the HX effects.

Potentially settling for the ABM 600 ltd @ £400, then I'll have to assess whether I want to keep the HX Effects or just get a Darkglass pedal (the distortion I use on my HX) and make a small pedalboard.

6 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Aha! Yep I'm on the fence about moving or keeping the HX effects.

Potentially settling for the ABM 600 ltd @ £400, then I'll have to assess whether I want to keep the HX Effects or just get a Darkglass pedal (the distortion I use on my HX) and make a small pedalboard.

Personally, it wasn't just the ABM that did it but I upgraded my amp to the ABM and ditched the Helix around a similar time. The Helix is fantastic but for me I was just using a few amp Sim patches, nowhere near the full capability so it was hundreds of pounds sitting idle on my pedalboard. 

Oh I hear where you're coming from...

... In my case it's more for the handiness of presets. Mind, this is 'only' the HX Effects so £250 invested.

I normally have 2 cleans and 2 dirty sounds - the only respective difference being the boost added on... Distortion, despite the punk rock genre, is very metal-like, Darkglass simulation...

... Other than that I do noodle around a bit with chorus or octave at most for my neosoul sounds but definitely can be discarded as I don't gig or rehearse at the moment with it... I'm hijacking my own thread but maybe the ABM with a good Darkglass pedal, and boost at most, does everything for me.

An Ashdown ABM600 and a Big Twin 2 or 6x10 has been my go to for a while now and it's always excellent. I have an SVT2 pro and HLF 4x10 which again is epic but the Ashdown and barefaced just for carrying alone is well worth the investment. Then the back up support from Ashdown is second to none. No brainer imo 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, walshy said:

An Ashdown ABM600 and a Big Twin 2 or 6x10 has been my go to for a while now and it's always excellent

ah! Much appreciated Paul, your opinion does have good weight here!

seems like I’m gonna sort for the ABM 20th anniversary I saw…

… next assessments will likely be HX Effects vs Darkglass Microtubes and BB2 vs Super Twin 2… I can see that coming 😂

Ander. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

ah! Much appreciated Paul, your opinion does have good weight here!

seems like I’m gonna sort for the ABM 20th anniversary I saw…

… next assessments will likely be HX Effects vs Darkglass Microtubes and BB2 vs Super Twin 2… I can see that coming 😂

Ander. 

Save the hassle and look for a BT2 and you will never swap it out again. It just works mate. Its like when all the stars align 😆

Edited by walshy

For a clean and scooped sound, I'd definitely check out some of the GK amps. They are (can be) really bright and clean, while preserving a solid low end and sound good with distortions too.
Defo a different sound from Ashdown (rounder/mellower) and Ampeg (more pronounced low-mids).

They all have their own sound, and they're all good if that's what you're looking for.

Just my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

Hey Mario, thank you for your thoughts!

I did try the GK range (not all models) and as a signature I felt them too scooped, hence my settling for an Eitch T-900 as a more sober version of a clean amp.

Since I'm now in passive Fender territory I thought I'd add more colour via the amp head and enjoy a bit of valve-like warmth whilst keeping definition and sharpness if needed.

• Like 1

Completely agree with you! very good stuff but like you said, depending on what you want...!

In my previous 'adding colour' phase I went for an Aguilar TH350 and didn't love the controls and how the gain interacts with volume depending on each other etc.

Seems that Ashdown does have that kind of definition I'm looking for whilst still the characteristic valve warmth... but it's admittedly trying out an Ampeg that brought me to that search...!

• Like 1