Why become a member? ×

G&L L2000 tribute QA/QC

mario_buoninfante

2 hours ago, Machines said:

Not an L-2000, but further fuel to support that G&L Tribute QC has gone down the pan

The Placentia series (yes, I thought it too) is different to the Tribute series and is supposed to be an even more budget G&L line. Sounds like they should be avoided like the plague though! I am still lusting after a Tribute L-2500 though...

I forgot to mention, as it seems to be becoming relevant, that I got my mostly excellent Tribute LB-100 from GuitarGuitar - in Dec 2021.  If you can't be bothered scrolling back, the only "issues" I had with it were furry nut slots (easily sorted with a fingernail to remove the swarf), and the less than stellar shielding "attempt" (which I sighed and fixed myself).  Everything else about the bass pleases me greatly - great fit and finish, good fretwork, tuners feel smooth, pots feel ok for the price point.

2 hours ago, Machines said:

I think the theme here is that it's not that you have a bad bass, but if you'd bought the same thing several years ago, it would have been better.

Partially yes.

As in, I genuinely don't think it could have been any better sound-wise and feel-wise.

What they could have done though, they could have saved me from having to setup the bass (intonation) and from having to worry about all these little things.
But, most importantly what I think is the real issue here is that 2 people buying the same bass might get a totally different instrument quality-wise. And that's concerning since it's G&L.

Edited by mario_buoninfante

On 22/11/2022 at 09:47, Machines said:

Not an L-2000, but further fuel to support that G&L Tribute QC has gone down the pan

Yes, I thought it was called that too.

The Placentia Series is apparently a new Chinese range that sits below the currently Indonesian-made Tribute range (formerly they were Korean and even Japanese). There are several damning reviews of the Placentia Series models all over Youtube. What a shame :o

28 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

The Placentia Series is apparently a new Chinese range that sits below the currently Indonesian-made Tribute range (formerly they were Korean and even Japanese). There are several damning reviews of the Placentia Series models all over Youtube. What a shame :o

Who are they for?  Who are they aimed at?  They'll get eaten alive at that price range.

5 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Who are they for?  Who are they aimed at?  They'll get eaten alive at that price range.

I assume they're aimed as competition to Squier, Sire and their ilk. As you say, if the QC issues are as bad as they seem they're going to struggle to make any kind of mark with this range, if it doesn't sink without trace first!

Well, today I took  delivery of a G&L Tribute Fallout bass in candy apple Red with maple neck and fret board.

Set up was great, fretboard finish was smooth with no protruding frets .

Fantastic service from Guitar Guitar. 

Absolutely   amazing tonal range on offer, very pleased indeed no QC issues whatsoever..

Just saying 

• Like 2

I tried an L2000 Tribute in Cardiff PMT about a year ago and loved it, but I couldn't get over the massive chunk that had been taken out of the rear upper bout, or more importantly the price they were still wanting for it.  Apart from that, obviously post-production damage, it was well put together and set up.

I ordered an identical one from Andertons and when it turned up it was totally unplayable - neck hadn't been seated properly and there was a gap of about 2mm underneath the neck where it met the body.  I tightened the bolts to seat the neck fully, but couldn't adjust the action lower than 3.25mm and 2.75mm at the 17th fret on the E and G respectively without getting fret buzz anywhere above the 12th fret, even though the relief was fine.  The nut was also cut too high - about 1.25mm clearance.  Andertons took it back with no quibbles as you'd expect, but had no more and the price then went up so I left it.  

The most amusing thing was the guy in PMT who asked me to take my denim jacket off when I played the one there, so I didn't scratch the back.  Don't think he'd seen the bass before, and the massive divot already taken out of the back...

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear

1 minute ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

I tried an L2000 in Cardiff PMT about a year ago and loved it, but I couldn't get over the massive chunk that had been taken out of the rear upper bout, or more importantly the price they were still wanting for it.

I ordered an identical one from Andertons and when it turned up it was totally unplayable - neck hadn't been seated properly and there was a gap of about 2mm underneath the neck where it met the body.  I tightened the bolts to seat the neck fully, but couldn't adjust the action lower than 3.25mm and 2.75mm at the 17th fret on the E and G respectively without getting fret buzz anywhere above the 12th fret, even though the relief was fine.  The nut was also cut too high - about 1.25mm clearance.  Andertons took it back with no quibbles as you'd expect, but had no more and the price then went up so I left it.  

The most amusing thing was the guy in PMT who asked me to take my denim jacket off when I played the one there, so I didn't scratch the back.  Don't think he'd seen the bass before, and the massive divot already taken out of the back...

Was the Andertons one a 4 string with clear orange finish? If so I bought it as B stock there was wood shavings in the the neck pocket under the heel

• 4 months later...

Hey y’all, I have a G&L l2000 and there is an issue where the bottom switch only works in the passive position.  There wiring looks good on the ami side compared to the schematic I checked.  Just wondering is anyone has dealt with a type of issue like this.  There is no active or preamp working right now. Possibly a bad resistor or the chip went bad? Not sure

17 minutes ago, Seanconnors13 said:

Hey y’all, I have a G&L l2000 and there is an issue where the bottom switch only works in the passive position.  There wiring looks good on the ami side compared to the schematic I checked.  Just wondering is anyone has dealt with a type of issue like this.  There is no active or preamp working right now. Possibly a bad resistor or the chip went bad? Not sure

Presumably you've tried a new battery?