Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CTM owners

BassAdder60

I read an interesting post about a CTM300 owner and his preferred EQ settings .. so I tried it on the CTM100 

Previously I used all buttons out accept Deep and bass around 2pm, mids 12 0 clock and treble at 10 o’clock .. sounded good. 

Tried this .. 

All buttons out

Bass 9 o clock 

Mids 9 o clock 

Treble 7 o’clock 

Sounded good too, less deep but still full and punchy a classic tube tone 

Probably get more volume as less deep and settings to try next rehearsal with band 

• 3 months later...

Yesterday, I bought this rig.

IMG_20230224_191749.thumb.jpg.6fd9d9007dd6d53f85ea18de54a7bf22.jpg

An Ashdown CTM-100 head in pristine condition and a quite rare CL-414H cabinet.

For those not familiar with Ashdown reference system CL-414H means it's a 4x10" cabinet with a 4 Ohms load, an adjustable horn and it can handle ... 1050 Watts. 🤦🏻‍♂️

The seller was an ex Ashdown reseller and still have plenty of Ashdown gear...

I tried the 3 all valves heads he had there: a CTM-100, a CTM-300 (which was what I thought I was going to buy) and a BTA-300, alongside the 2 cabs I was interested in, the CL-414H and the CL-810 (which was what I thought I was going to buy).

The 8x10" was quite nice sounding, but impossible to put in the car (stupid Peugeot 508 trunk and it could not be put on the rear seats too) and sounded a bit too much 8x10", if you know what I mean, so with loads of these muddy mids à la Ampeg and a shy low end, typical 8x10".

The two CTM heads were very close soundwise, but I preferred the more useable 100 Watts power of the CTM-100 and also its lack of fan, even if this very fan is on the quiet side.

The BTA-300 was a bit of disappointment as it sounded sterile and artificial with the active EQ, quite dull, in fact.

It surely is great as a studio amp, but lacks a real valve sound signature to me.

The CTM-100 and CL-414H was the best combination as it's responding fast with all the low end missing in the 8x10" which is normal as the 4x10" is a true bass reflex model.

I tried everything with my Baldman-Fender Jaco fretless and it sounded excellent, really the way I want, with all the growl and mwah needed.

I disengaged all the buttons, the gain was around 30%, bass were at 10 o'clock, mids at 15 o'clock, treble at noon and master from 10% to full on, ... which was way too loud.

The funny thing is that I went there to buy the CTM-300 and the CL-810, and because of the stupid trunk of my car, I decided to try that CL-414H and what a revelation, even my wife said it was sounding better, rounder and more defined.

It's not a great idea to buy such things with a broken back, but it will not move from the house as I wanted to have a full valves head or combo at hand.

So this rig ticks all the boxes.

A happy player.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I got this CTM-100 last month. Absolute tube heaven. I am wanting an aesthetically pleasing smaller cab option for home though. I do have an Ampeg 210av but it is really skinny so the CTM looks ridiculous on top and way too low with cab on its side. I guess I could just get a second 210av. 6CAA339C-5EA3-4929-A21E-B18BC275F81F.thumb.jpeg.ae85c7101fdd0ea80131eadc7c081f9f.jpeg

• Like 1

On 23/04/2023 at 05:01, Keatz said:

I got this CTM-100 last month. Absolute tube heaven. I am wanting an aesthetically pleasing smaller cab option for home though. I do have an Ampeg 210av but it is really skinny so the CTM looks ridiculous on top and way too low with cab on its side. I guess I could just get a second 210av. 6CAA339C-5EA3-4929-A21E-B18BC275F81F.thumb.jpeg.ae85c7101fdd0ea80131eadc7c081f9f.jpeg

Barefaced 610 is the way, trust me

• Like 1