Why become a member? ×

New preamp for my Pedulla

dclaassen

I have a mid-90's MPV-5, with Bartolini P/J configuration. The preamp system needs replacing but I would really like to retain the original pickups (unless there is a great reason not to). The three existing control knobs are volume, p/u pan, and tone...that's it, and I'd like to not drill any more holes, but would not mind a stacked or push/pull pot if that is what's needed. 

I mostly play this bass with Jazz, with an occasional Rock gig thrown in. 

Thoughts?

On 26/10/2022 at 14:35, dclaassen said:

I have a mid-90's MPV-5, with Bartolini P/J configuration. The preamp system needs replacing but I would really like to retain the original pickups (unless there is a great reason not to). The three existing control knobs are volume, p/u pan, and tone...that's it, and I'd like to not drill any more holes, but would not mind a stacked or push/pull pot if that is what's needed. 

I mostly play this bass with Jazz, with an occasional Rock gig thrown in. 

Thoughts?

I'm confused, you say you want to replace the existing pre amp but the controls you describe are those of a passive bass - ie. a bass without a pre-amp...

Are you able to upload a photo of inside your basses control cavity?

17 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

I'm confused, you say you want to replace the existing pre amp but the controls you describe are those of a passive bass - ie. a bass without a pre-amp...

Are you able to upload a photo of inside your basses control cavity?

The MVP preamp is active, the tone control is a passive cut or active boost either side of the centre position, and the blend is active to keep the volume the same. Really neat setup!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/10/2022 at 17:34, ped said:

The MVP preamp is active, the tone control is a passive cut or active boost either side of the centre position, and the blend is active to keep the volume the same. Really neat setup!

OK thanks for the info - very interesting!

I've owned 2 MVPs and only ever had them with a Bart 2 or 3 band active Pre-Amps with the normal 4 or 5 knob config. I've never heard of a pre that operates in the way you describe, hence my confusion.

17 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

OK thanks for the info - very interesting!

I've owned 2 MVPs and only ever had them with a Bart 2 or 3 band active Pre-Amps with the normal 4 or 5 knob config. I've never heard of a pre that operates in the way you describe, hence my confusion.

I had mine a long time ago and don't remember even looking into what the knobs did technically, so I was semi surprised to read that myself (mine was a three knob PJ setup) but it makes sense, on reflection.